Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto with 40 DCOE Jetting Question
Hillclimber

posted on 28/12/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto with 40 DCOE Jetting Question

Can anyone please offer some good advise.

I have a recently owned Westfield with a standard 2L Pinto with a pair 40DCOE carbs. The car drives really well with no flat spots or pinking and revs through to 6.5k with no issues. I dont know what jets are fitted but when i look down the trumpets i see a 30 on the choke. I have a print out for 117bhp but i guess that will be at the flywheel.

I'm thinking of fitting a modified head with a FR32 cam. Do i need to rejet and choke? If so can anyone tell me what they have changed and what they have found best?

I dont want to change the head and regret it by it not running as good as when i made the changes?

From reading i should go to 36mm chokes 145 main jet and 190 air corrector with F2 or 16 emulsion tubes.

Am i on the right lines and should i be looking at changing anything else?

Thanks in advance!

[Edited on 28/12/12 by Hillclimber]

ali f27

posted on 28/12/12 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
chokes are on the small side at the mo for 2.0 36 would be about right then you work everything out from the coke size you use dont have the information to hand need to look it up but it will surprise you how much money you can waste getting it wrong properly done will run just as it did before
Hillclimber

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
On doing some more research i have found this info:

For a modded 2.0 2.1 from Dave Andrews site:

36mm chokes (the biggest that 40 DCOE's will accept)
140 Main jets
55f9 Idle Jets
180 Air correctors
F9/F16/F2 Emulsion tubes
40 Pump jets
4.5 Aux venturis

Can any of you Pinto users confirmthis setup is ok or would you disagree?

Cheers

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Difficult to disagree with Dave Andrews. After all he wrote the book, or at least a few I suspect.

Anyway, those will undoubtedly get you about right. However, I would strongly recommend a rolling road setup once everything is sorted. A good operator can get everything spot on, and have the jets to swap around if required. Money well spent I reckon. If you have a "feel" for tuning and a wideband sensor/gauge, you can do it yourself. But it will take a lot longer, and buying jets only to find you need to try more gets tiresome. Drilling/soldering them is possible to save the wait each time.

No doubt somebody will be along soon extolling the virtues of bike carbs, and of course EFi

Paul Turner

posted on 29/12/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dave Andrews programme is a very good starting point but you still need a rolling road tune to set up the idle and ensure that there are no weak spots and pinking. A good RR operator carry out a dizzy swing to find the best compromise for power/safe running.

At the end of the day every tuned engine is different, no programme can predict all the changes made.

Mikef

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I recently set up my Sons Westfield, same spec. I would go with the Dave Andrews set up. I ended up with f16 emulsion tube and 140 main jets 180 air corrector and 50/f9 idle. I would suggest that it might be worth starting with a 145 main , at least you will know you are on the right side of rich , rather than ending up running a bit lean. He had a grin on his face after a few laps, at a track day so, seal of approval.
Hillclimber

posted on 30/12/12 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikef
I recently set up my Sons Westfield, same spec. I would go with the Dave Andrews set up. I ended up with f16 emulsion tube and 140 main jets 180 air corrector and 50/f9 idle. I would suggest that it might be worth starting with a 145 main , at least you will know you are on the right side of rich , rather than ending up running a bit lean. He had a grin on his face after a few laps, at a track day so, seal of approval.

Thanks for all the advise especially the above . I've found a rolling road locally (Chorley) but they don't offer a jetting service so to go off topic slightly can anyone recommend a jetting service in Lancashire or close to Preston?

Thanks again in advance.

Mikef

posted on 30/12/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Cant help you there as living in Devon. I think you would be fairly spot on with the settings already discussed, a spare set of mains is all you would need, and they are about a couple of quid each . You could run it up to start with on the 145s then then check plugs, fairly certain that you would then be back to the 140s to get the mixture just right. The only thing else I consider you defn need for any twin carb set up is a snyc gauge, you can get a decent one for about £35, it is a really useful piece of kit, and makes all the difference.
coozer

posted on 30/12/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would take them off, sell them, buy some bike carbs, get Bogg Brothers on the case and have a holiday with the money left over.

Then marvel at the extra power and extra mpg.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Mikef

posted on 30/12/12 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I know this is going off the thread a bit, not sure if I am supposed to do that ?

But, seeing the post above about bike carbs , has any body got any experience with bike injectors and throttle bodies, I have been toying with the idea. I am setting up mega Jolt ign system for the new season on my 2l Pinto, which is running twin 45DCOEs at the moment. if that performs ok , and cant see why it wont , I was thinking of changing over to fuel injection and a Mega squirt , but cant bring my self to fork out the serious dosh for Jenvey ( or similar ) throttle bodies. Any top tips much appreciated.

coozer

posted on 30/12/12 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I moved up from bike carbs to MS injection and in wonderful hindsight I wish I hadn't bothered..

I think properly setup bike carbs and a decent cam would be just as beneficial.

And, the move to coil pack and MJ is worth it for the better control over a much fatter spark.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Hillclimber

posted on 30/12/12 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I would take them off, sell them, buy some bike carbs, get Bogg Brothers on the case and have a holiday with the money left over.

Cheers Coozer "IF"? i took your advice what bike carbs would you recommend for the Pinto with a FR32?

Cheers!

Hillclimber

posted on 30/12/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips on the mains Mike f.
Mikef

posted on 30/12/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Coozer.

Must say it has always gone V well with the 45s. I think its more the challenge of doing the injection that interests me. Its on the back burner for now any way.

coozer

posted on 30/12/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hillclimber
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Cheers Coozer "IF"? i took your advice what bike carbs would you recommend for the Pinto with a FR32?

Cheers!

ZX9R carbs mate, 40mm inlet and they are the same as ZZr1100 and ZZr600.

Just make sure they have a TPS as the early ones on the ZZr's dont.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Oddified

posted on 31/12/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for all the advise especially the above . I've found a rolling road locally (Chorley) but they don't offer a jetting service so to go off topic slightly can anyone recommend a jetting service in Lancashire or close to Preston?

Thanks again in advance.

Try Mini Sport in Padiham, or RE in Bury. Both do rolling road/carb work.

Ian

Hillclimber

posted on 1/1/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:

Thanks again in advance.

Try Mini Sport in Padiham, or RE in Bury. Both do rolling road/carb work.

Ian

Ian

Thanks for the info for mini sport will give them a call tomorrow.

Cheers, Ian.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.