Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Widening trailer
luke2152

posted on 6/3/14 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Widening trailer

I have a caravan chassis that I'm planning on using to make a locost trailer. I have access to quite a bit of scrap at work and its about time I learned to weld. Have read a couple of threads on here to get a few ideas. The car wont fit between the caravan wheels but its close. How far could I safely move the wheels apart with wheel spacers. Is 50mm each side too much? I suspect it might put a bit of extra wear on the bearings but is it major problem?

The axle is a braked alko one similar to this (this is not my one):
1.2 ton caravan / trailer axle indispension, good brakes, from an ALKO chassis

Or could I unbolt the indespension mounts from the chassis, pull them out and inch or 2 and then bolt them back to the chassis with spacers? I'm not sure how its constructed inside and whether thats a good idea at all. I'd rather not go cutting the middle of the axle. I don't have high hopes joining it again sucessfully.

[Edited on 6/3/14 by luke2152]

jossey

posted on 6/3/14 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Why not raise the floor over the wheels

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
luke2152

posted on 6/3/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not ruling out raising the floor or possibly raising the centre to peak in between the wheels. But it would be nice to keep the floor nice and low if possible. Easier loading and lower centre of gravity.
MikeRJ

posted on 6/3/14 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
How far could I safely move the wheels apart with wheel spacers. Is 50mm each side too much?

IMO that would be too much.

quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
The axle is a braked alko one similar to this (this is not my one):
1.2 ton caravan / trailer axle indispension, good brakes, from an ALKO chassis

Or could I unbolt the indespension mounts from the chassis, pull them out and inch or 2 and then bolt them back to the chassis with spacers?

If your axle is like the one in the link, then it doesn't have indespension units that could be moved. If it has then that would be a better way of increasing the track, though you'd need to be sure the suspension units were still adequately supported.

mark chandler

posted on 6/3/14 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
The bed on mine is above the wheels

Trailer tilted
Trailer tilted

The little heavy duty wheels and tyres cost £100 each, it means the trailer has the same footprint as the car + drawbar so fits into a garage and is no wider than the tow car.

Additional benefit is ability to work on a raised car

Wadders

posted on 6/3/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thats got to be the classiest tow car ever.....

Trailer tilted
Trailer tilted

SPYDER

posted on 6/3/14 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I recall seeing a small car transporter where the tops of the tyres poked through the trailer deck by about three inches. The deck had cut outs to allow this. The car rode up over the tyres when loading.
luke2152

posted on 6/3/14 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
The bed on mine is above the wheels

Trailer tilted
Trailer tilted

The little heavy duty wheels and tyres cost £100 each, it means the trailer has the same footprint as the car + drawbar so fits into a garage and is no wider than the tow car.

Additional benefit is ability to work on a raised car

Nice work. Actually it isn't as high as I'd expected and I guess it avoids the need for mudguards. Does the tipper deck help much or could one just disconnect from the car and use the jockey wheel to similar effect.

Also not sure what material I can get my hands on for free and what I'll be buying but I was thinking 4 lots of 25mm box section going crosswise and parallel lengths of same going lengthways to make the bed. Strong enough? All welded to chassis. Any diagonals needed?

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
II............II............II................II

[Edited on 6/3/14 by luke2152]

Canada EH!

posted on 6/3/14 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Not familiar with UK regulations, I have 3 trailers, why not cut the axle in the middle and place a tube over the axle, widen to the required width then weld back together making sure to have 300mm of overlap on either side of the original cut.
mark chandler

posted on 6/3/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
You could just as easily use the jockey wheel and not bother with a pivot (farm gate hinges) the car anchors the trailer they have a habit of jumping forward, newtons law applies but if I use the £60 winch it's fine.

I used pressed U channel, much cheaper than angle mine was scratch built, for the deck edge U channel split down the middle.

25mm box will quickly bow, you need depth or triangulate for what you are suggesting, there are more photo's in my archive, the main channel is 250mm on mine.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 6/3/14 by mark chandler]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.