Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good day, bad day
Daddylonglegs

posted on 9/11/13 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Good day, bad day

Apologies for the essay, but it may help with diagnosis

Thought I was going to make another milestone on the Midget restoration today, but it was not to be. Got everything ready to start and discovered a water leak from the weep hole in the water pump. Bought a new one, fitted it and after around 30 mins was ready to go again. Car started within about 15 seconds which aint bad for a car that's not run for 5 years! It ran for around 10-15 secs then died, but I think I flooded it. Anyhow, turns out the settings on the SUs were waaaay too rich. Leaned out and tried again. Car started straight away but was lumpy as hell! Removing plug leads one-at-a-time proved 3 & 4 were not firing. I thought it might be a carb issue as each one feeds a pair of cylinders. But I did a compression test on them and 3 & 4 have zilch! So I'm guessing the head gasket has gone between 3 & 4.

Anyone had that happen on a newly rebuilt engine before?

I'm just hoping it ain't something more sinister

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

rusty nuts

posted on 9/11/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Might just be a sticking valve on each cylinder, lift the rocker cover and check the valve clearances, if the valve clearances on cylinders 3 and 4 are very loose it may be possible to free off the offending valve
JeffHs

posted on 9/11/13 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Don't, discount spark plugs. I chased my tail for a while with my pinto and twin 40s. Turned out the brand new Bosch plugs were no good, fixed with correct NGKs
chrism

posted on 10/11/13 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffHs
Don't, discount spark plugs. I chased my tail for a while with my pinto and twin 40s. Turned out the brand new Bosch plugs were no good, fixed with correct NGKs

Did you miss the bit where he said there was no compression on 3 and 4.

Could be a couple of sticking valves as said above, also were the block and cylinder checked for warpage, as if they are not flat it could stop the head gasket from compressing and hence sealing correctly.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/11/13 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, as Chris said, there is no compression on 3 or 4. I did take the rocker cover off and checked 'off-rock' for gaps on the rockers. i didn't measure them, so they could be a tiny bit high and I guess a valve doesn't have to stick by much to lose compression? But they do seem about right so I will have to check with a feeler gauge.

I did not check the head for warpage though which I am regretting. So going to have to whip the head off anyhow if the valve gaps are OK. Hey Ho, gotta love cars!

rusty nuts

posted on 10/11/13 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
If you can beg, borrow or steal a cylinder leakage tester it will identify the problem straight away. IIRC British Trident may have posted about a D.I.Y tester. My money would still be on a valve stuck open , if , when the engine was running it was spitting back through the carbs then suspect the inlet valves. Have also had similar problems with badly worn cams and tight valve clearances but on a rebuilt engine that shouldn't be the case
JeffHs

posted on 10/11/13 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Oops! Must read the post properly.
02GF74

posted on 10/11/13 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Comp test remove all plugs turn engine over with ful throttle this ensures you get air so it can be compreesed.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/11/13 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well, loosened the valves to 3 & 4 to make sure they were not sticking down, still zero compression, also noticed No.2 had dropped from 120 to 90psi!! So, off with her head as they say, and what did I find? Looks like it was only a matter of minutes bofore 1-2 went as well

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Anyhow, I'm a tight a**e and begrudge parting with her majesty's coinage when I can do it mysel

So....I have a decent sized engineer's plate, and being a Locoster I thought I'd have a go at trueing the head myself

I stuck aluminium oxide to the plate with grease, used light oil on it and spent 1 1/2 hrs pushing the head backwards-and-forwards on an ever decreasing pile of paper utnil I got the results below. I reckon another hour should see it about right, I measured the gap in the middle of the head against a straight edge and reckon I've got about 3-thou to remove

Still, gives one a great sense of well being

Before:
Description
Description

After:
Description
Description

[Edited on 10/11/13 by Daddylonglegs]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.