Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dzus fastener alternative?
RazMan

posted on 19/1/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dzus fastener alternative?

I am looking for a small (M6 ish) fixing to attach an air filter to the baseplate. Originally I was intending to use Dzus fasteners but they are a bit too chunky and surprisingly expensive.

My cheapest resort would be some M6 rivnuts installed in the baseplate and simply use some M6 button-heads to hold it down, but I would rather have a quick release method if at all possible.

Any ideas guys?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 19/1/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
as above but with a wing bolt? or a thread sticking up and wing nut ?

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

RazMan

posted on 19/1/11 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think I can fit a wing nut in the space I have, as the brackets are fairly small.
You can see here - it's a double filter baseplate and I am screwing mirror brackets to the underside of the filters.

Description
Description

Sorry, but the filter pic is too huge, despite editing it - have a look in my archive under 'CNC Experiment'

[Edited on 19-1-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 19/1/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think the things I used are called spire nuts. They are like a spring steel clip that goes round the edge od the ally and a coarse threaded wide headed self tapper screws into it. I got a box of various sizes for a tenner from halfords.

Seem to be vibration proof as my V8 is bolted solid to the chassis and they have not worked loose yet.

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

Canada EH!

posted on 19/1/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
What you need is a "Tinnerman nut", check aircraft suppliers, not expensive.
RazMan

posted on 19/1/11 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Both Spire Nuts and Tinnerman Nuts are not really what I was looking for - they are basically less permanent versions of my original Rivnut idea. I was hoping for a fastener that works like the Dzus Fastener - a quarter turn of a handle or basic tool, but it remains captive. I am a bit concerned about these things vibrating loose and as they are right next to the vertical intake trumpets .....

Maybe I will just stick a bit of Loctite on the M6 button head screws and be satisfied with that.

Cheers,
Raz

tul214

posted on 19/1/11 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Any good?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

indykid

posted on 19/1/11 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
i'd drop an email to ITG or Pipercross.

both use the type of fixing you're after.

if you'd bought a used filter but the fittings were damaged....... i'm sure they'd be able to sort you something out

you seem to be after dzus panex or camloc quarter turn fasteners though

ETA - these : bail handle

[Edited on 19/1/11 by indykid]

RazMan

posted on 19/1/11 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tul214
Any good?

Now we're cooking with gas!

quote:
Originally posted by indykid

'd drop an email to ITG or Pipercross.

both use the type of fixing you're after.

if you'd bought a used filter but the fittings were damaged....... i'm sure they'd be able to sort you something out

..... except I got it from Ramair

I'll check out the panex idea though - cheers for that

Looking good but quite expensive

[Edited on 19-1-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.