Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bugger, Bugger, Bugger - petrol in a diesel
Davegtst

posted on 10/9/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
You will be absolutly fine. I hear the scare stories about this all the time, most of it coming from garages who haven't got a clue what they are doing and replace eveything just to be sure. I once phoned my local Honda dealer up with a bogus misfuel just to see how much they charge and they told me i would need a complete new engine, pump, injectors and even a new tank! There is so much bs people will tell you i could be on here all night. It's a shame i didn't know about your passat earlier, i could have told you how to do it very easily.
dinosaurjuice

posted on 10/9/12 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
modern diesel is very different to old diesel. and modern diesel injection systems are very different to new ones.

petrol kills a diesel in 3 ways (generally). not usually all, but at least 1 will give problems.

Reactions with the seals and various rubber components used in pumps and injectors.

Lack of lubrication (this is the biggy) to modern vane pumps and CR injectors.

Heat! Burning petrol in a lean diesel engine makes them hot, can destroy turbos or valves etc. Not so common, takes a while.

Never done it myself. Have been stopped by people twice when filling kitcar with diesel

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.