Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why can't people drive?
PAULD

posted on 23/12/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
It's just a thought but if so many of you know the junction why am I the only one round here on "locostbuilder locations"?
mcerd1

posted on 23/12/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
not seen any crashed cars round here yet, a few broken down though...

and lots of 4x4's sliding around the place so its only a matter of time I guess

personaly the best car I've ever had in the snow was my old 106: lightweight, skinny tyres, small engine, fairly well balanced and worth next to nothing - it was great fun if you could find somewhere with nothing to hit

[Edited on 23/12/09 by mcerd1]

-

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 23/12/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
that photo is brilliant! People seem to not bother slowing down, I was in the car today doing about 30 (60 limit) on very slushy back road with temperature at 0C - -1C and a lot of obvious ice patches, when a car came the other way doing about 70, crikey I was just hoping his accident happened after he past me!!!

The ice on the road in my villlage is now almost 3 inches thick in places, I think is due to water running underneath and then freezing, Its getting very bumpy!! I'll have to get a picture.

D Beddows

posted on 23/12/09 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah everyone one here should be driving in F1 apparently....... but in blizzard conditions yesterday when I was pootling along at 30mph in a big safe Saab and quite frankly scared to do much more as I could feel the wheels spinning every time I touched the accelerator - I was overtaken by a learner motorcyclist on a 125 doing at least 50..... ok he had both feet off the footrests and everything which would have saved him but !!!!

speedyxjs

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Today i have experienced four major road closures (inc A27 and A26), a van ar*e up in a ditch, a fiesta that somehow managed to find its was onto a hedge with the front end hanging off, an articulated lorry halfway up a bank and a BMW going head on into a concrete wall!!!

All these accidents were on major roads while i delivered to 19 seperate addresses all of which were on back roads which weren't gritted and looked like this:

and managed to get back well within time and without even a scratch on the van!

There are some total idiots on the roads

flak monkey

posted on 23/12/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I think that photo is quite funny, assuming no one was hurt, which it doesnt look like there was.

I agree that people dont seem to be able to drive in the snow/ice.

There are 2 extremes here:

1 - those that drive at 20mph even on gritted and clear main roads on the straights just annoying everyone.

2 - those that drive like total loonies and still try to do 70mph everywhere.

I like to think I am somewhere in the middle, by no means perfect but *touch wood* I havent had any problems yet. If I know the road and its clear I am happy to drive at normal speeds on the straight and hazard free bits and slow down a bit in advance just in case there's any black ice on the corners. If the road looks like the road outside my house (like the pics above - just a sheet of ice) then I drive at a much reduced speed.

I do quite enjoy driving in the snow and ice and see it as a bit of a challenge.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mcerd1

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I like to think I am somewhere in the middle, by no means perfect but *touch wood* I havent had any problems yet. If I know the road and its clear I am happy to drive at normal speeds on the straight and hazard free bits and slow down a bit in advance just in case there's any black ice on the corners. If the road looks like the road outside my house (like the pics above - just a sheet of ice) then I drive at a much reduced speed.

I do quite enjoy driving in the snow and ice and see it as a bit of a challenge.

I think that sums it up for most of us

-

dlatch

posted on 24/12/09 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
are you a good driver is a very interesting question.
in my opinion at least 60% of people that use the roads are most definatley not judging by the way i see them drive.

i would count myself as a good driver and have 16 years ncb to back my claim up
numerous minor speeding fines would disagree though.
sadly safe speed is a impossability in the eyes of the law. (don't get me started on seat belts either)
What makes a good driver is most definatley experience which leads to better judgement lets not forget when driving you have to constantly have to make split second decisions, i can make a journey and before someone even does a stupid lane change ect i have all ready known what they were gonna do also lots of this has come from riding motorbikes on the road.
The worst driving i see is always in town when people think because they are going slower they can do whatever they like also the fact people feel invincible in their tin box's with all the safety gear is also making people unaware of the reality that they can easily kill someone.
i think making them drive to work in a locost for a week may change their feeling of security

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
boggle

posted on 24/12/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
you can have the best 4x4 in the world, but if its icy you will still slide....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.