Board logo

Land Rover Master Cylinder Outlets
907 - 10/4/15 at 07:48 PM

Hi All,

I know there are several Landy owners on here so I wondered if one or two could help with some info.

I have a duel tandem master cylinder that (obviously) has two outlets.

One is a 3/8 unf and the other is 7/16 unf.

My question is; which goes to the front brakes and which to the rear ?

Many thanks (in anticipation)
Paul G

JAG - 10/4/15 at 09:15 PM

It's normally the larger one to the front brakes - front brakes need more fluid displacement

907 - 11/4/15 at 06:30 AM

Cheers Justin.

The larger thread is the first part of the M/C, i.e. nearest the pedal.
I suspect this is a larger bore so may move more fluid, but I also suspect that both pipes will be 3/16" and that the
reason for the differing nuts may be so they don't get connected up the wrong way; but I don't know that for certain.

If fitted this way the brake lines will cross over ( X ) the front of the M/C going to the rear brakes,
and vice versa.

Cheers
Paul G

[Edited on 11/4/15 by 907]

hizzi - 11/4/15 at 06:47 AM

what is the master cylinder from? landrover defender both pipes feed a presssure reducing valve then split from there. landrover series master cylinder, front is front rear is rear. early series landrovers with servo are different again i think. i would take the number from the cylinder and google from there

907 - 11/4/15 at 07:04 AM

It's a B/M/Cyl 88 Duel opt, part number 569671D.

Not quite the same as my pipes will exit horizontally but I found this pic which shows a cross over.

Land rover M/C
Land rover M/C

Paul G

hizzi - 11/4/15 at 07:48 AM

that picture isnt of the same brake layout ithink. what you have is a pre 1980 series landrover master cylinder from a 88" landrover designed to run 10" drum brakes. pretty sure front connection is front brakes, if i can find my manual or get a hold of my mates motor i will have a look today for you
landrover did at least three sizes of brakes at that point and some dual circuit stuff and some servo stuff depending on model

907 - 11/4/15 at 09:39 AM

Cheers Hizzi.

According to Dingocroft who I bought this off, duel circuit brakes were an optional extra on several models.

I assume that those that were to tight to pay more were last seen dropping off a cliff edge.

Paul G