Board logo

police camera van NOW WITH PHOTO
graememk - 9/4/10 at 11:01 AM

Took a photo of one stopped in a bus stop this morning? can they do this ?

camera van
camera van

[Edited on 9/4/10 by graememk]

scootz - 9/4/10 at 11:04 AM

They'll find a reason to justify it, so the short answer is... yep!

FFTS - 9/4/10 at 11:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by graememk

Only if they have reports of the busses pulling into the stop far too fast!!

Honest

dhutch - 9/4/10 at 11:11 AM

Cocks.

t16turbotone - 9/4/10 at 11:16 AM

proper cocks!

sucksqueezebangblow - 9/4/10 at 11:16 AM

In my experience they are always parked in odd places, front facing the traffic. Centre island on dual carriageways etc. It is good in that it is the only way to spot them, tall white vans always parked in really stupid places that would get anyone else in trouble with plod!

r1_pete - 9/4/10 at 11:23 AM

Is that a school entrance? even if not is is a safety issue, expecting the bus to pull up double parked to let folk on and off.

Maybe they're after some old dear speeding with her shopping trolley.

Bunch of Tw@ts

jabbahutt - 9/4/10 at 11:25 AM

Should of banged on the window and asked how much a return ticket was to the town centre

boggle - 9/4/10 at 11:32 AM

they can do anything....

they make there own laws....

are these vans operated by real coppers, or people playing coppers???

scootz - 9/4/10 at 11:33 AM

Why don't you send an email through to the Road Safety unit with the pic attached and ask them about it?

scootz - 9/4/10 at 11:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by boggle

Normally support-staff and not PO's.

richardh - 9/4/10 at 11:38 AM

wanchors - causing more problems than assisting.
hope a bus comes and just sits there beeping until it moves

Dangle_kt - 9/4/10 at 12:05 PM

Anyone know the rules on standing behind them, so they can't see ou the little window?

They surely can't stop you?

That would be great, just pull over and stand there till they moved.

Charlie_Zetec - 9/4/10 at 12:11 PM

quote:

Technically when working in the road or at roadside, they are supposed to put out cones and markers for health and safety reasons, in accordance with roadside activity advice from HSE themselves.

Ask them where their markers are for this and see what they say?!?

blakep82 - 9/4/10 at 12:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
Anyone know the rules on standing behind them, so they can't see ou the little window?

They surely can't stop you?

That would be great, just pull over and stand there till they moved.

i should imagine they'd call the real police in to 'remove' you

T66 - 9/4/10 at 12:15 PM

Yes ......

Apparently its more socially acceptable to tell people your a paedophile than admit being a speed camera van operator or pcso.

No discretion , no mitigation, EVERYONE gets done.

Road policing at its very best

scudderfish - 9/4/10 at 12:20 PM

I also thought it was illegal to park facing towards oncoming traffic

Russell - 9/4/10 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
Yes ......

Apparently its more socially acceptable to tell people your a paedophile than admit being a speed camera van operator or pcso.

No, only EVERYONE that's speeding!

scootz - 9/4/10 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
I also thought it was illegal to park facing towards oncoming traffic

There are a number of conditions to be met to complete this offence... between the hours of darkness being one of them!

T66 - 9/4/10 at 12:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Russell
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Yes ......

Yes well the friendly local force here prosecute at anything over 30mph..

So just remeber that at 31mph they HAVE NO DISCRETION and you get offered the highly valued road safety course at great cost.

beyond 33mph you get ticketed.

You must be under some illusion these things improve road safety ?

They dont !

Police officers in shiny cars used to do it

Daddylonglegs - 9/4/10 at 01:02 PM

Am I wrong or are some of our fold on this forum members of HM Constabulary? If so, I'm sure the matter can be cleared up

Agriv8 - 9/4/10 at 01:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by boggle
they can do anything....

they make there own laws....

Pretend copers or revenue collectors as mr brown can take a cut of the takings rather than it going into acident reduction scheme ( or more speed camera's ) = more revenue ect etc.

Suspect there is a councilor that lives on the street !!

Regards

Agriv8

Agriv8 - 9/4/10 at 01:18 PM

I would love to have a 7 ton lorry to park behind them just short of the hut

regards

Agriv8

carpmart - 9/4/10 at 01:22 PM

People busy looking at their speedo's to check that they haven't just slightly exceed the speed limit DOES NOT improve road safety!

I would vote monster raving loony if they promised to get rid of these things!!!!!

Richard Quinn - 9/4/10 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
I would love to have a 7 ton lorry to park behind them just short of the hut

regards

Agriv8
Mate of mine has done that with a hi-top Sprinter. Got threatened with "obstructing a police officer in the course of his duty" or something similar.

graememk - 9/4/10 at 01:41 PM

i dont think they are police officers though are they ?

jabbahutt - 9/4/10 at 02:09 PM

Stand behind them and obstruct the camera with dark glasses on and a piece of stick painted white, would work better if you could borrow a labrador dog

boggle - 9/4/10 at 02:14 PM

or turn up in a tow truck and clamp them, or start getting ready to tow them for being in a buss stop...

or call the police about a vehicle abandoned in the bus stop and give the reg to them......

afj - 9/4/10 at 02:18 PM

quote:
i dont think they are police officers though are they ?

dont think it matters, when i recover a car from the roadside i have the same powers, like i can park where i like when i like to recover the car as im acting under the instruction of the chief constable of cambridgeshire constabulary, one way streets the wrong way, reverseing down a motorway, ignoring weight limets ect

morcus - 9/4/10 at 02:31 PM

Send the pictures to you local paper and say you waiting for a bus, or better still, find and pld person to put there name to it.

Of course its not about safety, if it was they'd actually do something rather than just take pictures of people being 'dangerous'.

As said though, they make there own rules, though every one in vans seems to be bound by a completely different set of laws and highway code.

Russell - 9/4/10 at 02:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Yes ......

Yes well the friendly local force here prosecute at anything over 30mph..

So just remeber that at 31mph they HAVE NO DISCRETION and you get offered the highly valued road safety course at great cost.

beyond 33mph you get ticketed.

You must be under some illusion these things improve road safety ?

They dont !

Police officers in shiny cars used to do it

No, I don't like the darned things any more than anyone else who's commented on this thread.
BUT I've worked on road schemes, traffic managment and control, road operations, maintenance managment and road technology consultancy for 25 years and some of the things I've seen and been involved in have left me with a healthy respect for fast traffic (I'm sh1t scared of working next to it!).
This type of speed enforcement is highly imperfect but unfortunately there are enough nutters out there to mean that we need something. When these vans disappear be warned that they will be replaced with something even more onerous, so be careful what you wish for!!!!

T66 - 9/4/10 at 02:46 PM

Signage must be displayed highlighting it is a camera enforcement area, either permanently or otherwise.

And the vans are meant to be liveried up and not plain white "CIA" vans...

otherwise its called surveillance !

T66 - 9/4/10 at 03:05 PM

No, I don't like the darned things any more than anyone else who's commented on this thread.
BUT I've worked on road schemes, traffic managment and control, road operations, maintenance managment and road technology consultancy for 25 years and some of the things I've seen and been involved in have left me with a healthy respect for fast traffic (I'm sh1t scared of working next to it!).
This type of speed enforcement is highly imperfect but unfortunately there are enough nutters out there to mean that we need something. When these vans disappear be warned that they will be replaced with something even more onerous, so be careful what you wish for!!!!

Main carriageways without doubt should be covered by cameras, average speed cams whatever is easier.

No doubt about it, when guys are working right next to traffic lanes, the speed should be heavily restricted.

But these vans do not do that, they skulk on roads where RTCs are not a problem, they skulk on roads where revenue is highest....

ie a 30 or 40 limit with a straight for example.

I want to see these vans on my estate clocking all the knobhead Nova drivers doing 60mph, not Ma Bates doing 33mph !

They only go where the revenue takes them, if you shout loud enough you might get them to survey the road then turn up twice a year to catch a few out.

Dont get highways/motorway speed management mixed up with the thousands of pedestrians knocked down each year, it rarely happens in or behind a speed camera.

And I wish for the return of the much maligned traffic cop ! knickers on the top of his flatcap, and an attitude that can make horrible people melt.

Because if we had these back, the Billy Knobhead in his Nova wouldnt be so keen to fall foul , and we wouldnt see as much sh1t driving as we do now.

Lets face it , you can drive anywhere in the country and count the moron drivers by the hundred.

Road safety is not just about signage, fancy dan matrixs, CHIPS highway patrol plebbs in Range Rovers, its still about Policing aswell.

Something this government has long since written off as "old fashioned"

And I suspect I may have been involved in road safety for about 25 years aswell.

scootz - 9/4/10 at 03:11 PM

You tell 'em Ivan!

Russell - 9/4/10 at 03:31 PM

Ah well, drive safely (and legally) y'all.

T66 - 9/4/10 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
You tell 'em Ivan!

The general election is coming Scott, the bullshat on the news every hour has me raised to fever pitch....

My knife is sharpened and lies close to hand for the 6th May.

Unfortunately I will miss it all as I am in Catalunya eating gambas and quaffing cava...

Postal vote bayonet is poised...

scootz - 9/4/10 at 03:43 PM

Yep... sounds like you need a hol - I can detect the pressure rising from here!

austin man - 9/4/10 at 07:38 PM

Give this photo to the local paper, we had a similar issue in my village. A motorist who received a fine took a picture of the van deemed as to be parked illegally. His fine was lifted as was anyone elses.

Simon - 9/4/10 at 11:39 PM

quote:

Copy his reg no, make a fake plate, hire van and attach said reg no and drive past at slightly above limit

ATB

Simon

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 13/4/10 at 12:47 PM

i always thought it was an offense to park in a bus stop.. cant see how someone can say 'i'm breaking the law' when they have to do so to say it.. pot - kettle