Board logo

Snowboarding - be careful out there
Jasper - 29/1/10 at 10:55 AM

Just got back from a few days in the Tourmalet in the Pyrennes, superb conditions, lovely weather, and lovely and quiet.

BUT - a mate who works there was flying back down the main blue piste that goes back to the car park, only to meet an instructor on a snowmobile coming the other way. The idiot driving shouldn't have been there, and crossed the slope as my mate approached over a small blind rise. He hit is full speed, broken the tibia and fibia just below the knee on one leg, and totally smashed his right ankle (through the skin, filled his boot with blood) so bad he's unlikely to walk properly again without a support, let alone ride. We stood blocking the scene listening to his screaming in pain for 40 minutes before he passed out and the doctor got there. Freaked us all out and kind of put a damper on the last days riding.

To be honest it was a freak accident, the driver is a known drinker and weed smoker and it was after lunch, and of course they didn't bother breathalising him, the police didn't even turn up till 2 hours later to survey the scene. Almost guaranteed the company who runs the resort will try to cover it up.

Sorry, just realised I put this in the wrong section - that's what happens when you go away for a week!

[Edited on 29/1/10 by Jasper] Rescued attachment IMG_0023.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_0023.JPG

twybrow - 29/1/10 at 11:09 AM

Ah crap Jasper, that sucks. Still, that could have been even worse considering the story you just told.... Not the sort of accident you expect to see when you go snowboarding. Best wishes to your mate...

Davey D - 29/1/10 at 11:18 AM

Ouch nasty!

Didnt the Snowmobile have a warning siren? i just got back from whistler Canada yesterday from my snowboarding trip, and every snowmobile over there had a very loud warning siren on them... i suppose if you are listening to you MP3 player loudly or something you still wouldnt have heard them though

bodger - 29/1/10 at 11:18 AM

Hi Jasper, I was talking to the guy at MAC#1 the other day. When I told him I was down in Hove he mentioned your name, said you were pretty local & your mum runs the teddy bear shop in the arcade. Although your not necessarily into teddy bears yourself.
Are you building anything at the moment? I'm bodging together an Indy, you're welcome to come have a look if your in the area. I could do with a bit of knowledge on a few things.

cheers
Jon

NigeEss - 29/1/10 at 11:29 AM

Hell of a way to end a holiday

Hope he makes a good recovery.

Jasper - 29/1/10 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
Ouch nasty!

Didnt the Snowmobile have a warning siren? i just got back from whistler Canada yesterday from my snowboarding trip, and every snowmobile over there had a very loud warning siren on them... i suppose if you are listening to you MP3 player loudly or something you still wouldnt have heard them though

Nope, no siren, no flashing lights, nothing ....

And yes, he could easily have been killed with that speed of impact ....

BenB - 29/1/10 at 12:32 PM

Ooooh. Nasty. Unlucky too. Snowboarding injuries usually more upper limb. Still, I guess the snowmobile means it wasn't the "usual" kind of snowboarding accident.

Nice photo BTW. Not such a nice run for a snowboard though! Looks a bit up hilly!!

James - 29/1/10 at 03:38 PM

Christ!

I must have a sensitive stomach today as I feel physically sick after that.

I've been too scared to go boarding again after my accident when I smashed my knee up so badly. 3 months in an ankle to thigh leg brace, I missed fighting for Great Britain in the 2003 European Championships and have been put off it (boarding! ) ever since!

But! There's lots of hope for him.

Case 1:
My Savate instructor fell off a 3 story roof and destroyed his ankle. At the time was told he'd be lucky to walk with a stick for the rest of his life...

... he walks, runs (oh, and was a member of the GB kickboxing team!) all quite happily afterwards and none of them with a limp, let alone a stick!

Case 2.
With my knee smashed I thought it was game over for lots of sport- especially as I missed 2003 Euros. But I did all the physio I could and since then:

2004 World semi-finals
2005 Euro quarter-finals
2006 World Bronze medal
2007 Euro Silver medal
2008 World quater finals
2009 Euro Silver medal

2009 Ran a half marathon in 94mins.

The point of this all being, that it'll seem bleak as hell for him at the moment. But with luck he'll be fine.

All the best to your mate to get well soon!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 29/1/10 by James]

[Edited on 29/1/10 by James]

Jasper - 29/1/10 at 04:26 PM

Yeah - that's what I though, too early to tell at the moment, and he's a fit young guy, he was told when he had an accident at 12 that he couldn't ski again, so took up boarding!!

I think it might be the last time I go, to be honest. It's good fun, but I'm always aware of hurting myself, and as I'm self employed it's a bit of a worry.