Board logo

Ebuyer sat navs - opinions
Humbug - 28/12/09 at 06:34 PM

Following on from my previous thread

here I have looked at the ebuyer budget satnavs here.

Currently trying to decide between the top one (3.5" screen, Version 3 software, UK & ROI only) and the 4.3" one (which has European maps but is Version 1 only).

Any experience/recommendations? Based on feedback on my other thread it looks like getting different software would be a good idea anyway.

Cheers

Simon Rescued attachment Screenshot 2009-12-28 18.2901.jpg
Rescued attachment Screenshot 2009-12-28 18.2901.jpg

mangogrooveworkshop - 28/12/09 at 10:09 PM

stick to tomtom if you want an easy life. They are market leaders for a reason

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/gps-sale.10036/

As well as being a good make they also have some cool poi software such as http://www.tomtomgreatestroutes.com/.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ has a good database for the speedcams

Hope that helps

blakep82 - 28/12/09 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
stick to tomtom if you want an easy life. They are market leaders for a reason

personally, because of hype i think. or because they were one of the first. but either way, go with one of the big known names. tom tom if you have to , garmin (my fave) or one of the others.

they ones in your link are cheap for a reason, ie probably not very good

luke - 28/12/09 at 11:12 PM

tom tom are well known because of their constant advertising.

Garmin ARE the best, we sell them in work, and ive lost count of the number of people who buy them to replace a tom tom, or for someone and then use it, and come back and say they didnt know why they had tom tom.

better systems, software, mapping, guidance, menus, reputation, customer service,..... i could go on and on!

morcus - 28/12/09 at 11:17 PM

I have the top one and I bought it off Ebuyer, Its not bad but the voice is annoying, it recognises bends in the road as corners and whilst I was in Bath this weekend it kept telling me to 'keep right' when I wanted to be in the lefthand lane. Also it found loads of speed cameras on the motorway with stupid limits on them (Like 20) but other satnavs might also do this.

The MP4 players isn't very loud (Even with decent headphones but is nice if you find yourself somewhere quiet.

Peteff - 29/12/09 at 12:19 AM

I run tom tom on the cheap one and it's great. If it packs up I'll buy a tom tom at £109 to replace it without a doubt as it's the easiest system to get on with and I have tried Garmin and Mio. I used the Turbodog and didn't have any problems with that either once I sorted all the options out.

Chippy - 29/12/09 at 12:28 AM

I have two of the top one, one in the KC, and one in the tin top. They both run Tom Tom maps, and to be honest I cant fault them, they have never sent me the wrong way. I didn't get on very well with the Turbodog maps and system, which is why I changed. HTH Ray

Humbug - 29/12/09 at 11:54 AM

Thanks again, chaps

Simon

coozer - 29/12/09 at 12:17 PM

Yep, I have the Navigo one from Ebuyer running TT7. Full European map that I've used in Germany successfully.

Cost me £44 a couple years ago.

mangogrooveworkshop - 29/12/09 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by luke
tom tom are well known because of their constant advertising.

Garmin ARE the best, we sell them in work, and ive lost count of the number of people who buy them to replace a tom tom, or for someone and then use it, and come back and say they didnt know why they had tom tom.

better systems, software, mapping, guidance, menus, reputation, customer service,..... i could go on and on!

Garmin is a good make ......when you are using the marine equipment......but the garmin satnavs that we used for streetmaps were crap.
kept losing lock and sending us off the route on little excursions.

Garmin chart plotters fantastic but the transition to land lubber products seemed to be driven by price and that forced the quality down