Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Denso alternator switched live L terminal giving 0.3v with both ignition on but not started and engine running???
John.Taylor

posted on 22/5/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Denso alternator switched live L terminal giving 0.3v with both ignition on but not started and engine running???

My Denso alternator has the B (to battery) post, and just the two (L & IG) spade terminals.

With B connected to battery +, IG fed 12v from the ignition, and L fed with 12v from the ignition via the bulb I get 0.3V out of the L spade terminal when the ignition is switched on so the bulb doesn't come on. When the engine is started nothing changes?

[Edited on 22/5/08 by John.Taylor]

Dusty

posted on 22/5/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
12v to extinguish the light on the dash when then engine is running. With engine stationary the lamp has 12v to it from the battery and the L terminal earths the lamp thus lighting it to inform you that the alternator is not charging the battery. When you start the engine then you get 12v+ to balance the supply to the lamp, 12v both sides = light out.
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/5/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
^ yip

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John.Taylor

posted on 22/5/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm really not getting this alternator wiring.

I have connected both the IG and L spade terminals with 12v feeds off the ignition that come live when the key is turned, but put a lamp in line with the L feed?

When I turn the ignition on, but don't start the car, I get 12v to both the IG and L spade but the lamp (which works) doesn't come on. It appears to me that the L spade isn't earthing?

Could this be true and what does it mean?

[Edited on 22/5/08 by John.Taylor]

Dusty

posted on 23/5/08 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Here's the circuit. Been posted before.

[Edited on 23/5/08 by Dusty] Rescued attachment Denso.JPG
Rescued attachment Denso.JPG

Macbeast

posted on 23/5/08 at 03:39 AM Reply With Quote
Take the wire that goes to the L connector off the alternator and touch it to the engine metal ( stick a spare male spade into it to act as a probe ) With ignition on, lamp should light. If not you have a high resistance - poor connection perhaps - in the feed to the lamp.

If it lights in above, touch the L wire to the alternator body. If it lights the alternator is faulty and as you say the L connector is not presenting an earth. If it doesn't light the alternator body is not earthing to the engine block and you have made your alternator mounts out of rubber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.