Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ECU mounting
RickRick

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
ECU mounting

So were has everyone mounted there ECU's it's an 04 R1 in a mnr. Are they waterproof? do they like to be kept nice and cool? i was thinking about inside the passenger footwell but that makes it a bit tricky for access if i ever needed to get at it again
stuart_g

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Tha way my loom is fitted in the car my ECU is in the engine bay on the engine cradle. I haven't made anything to house it yet. Rescued attachment Engine bay.JPG
Rescued attachment Engine bay.JPG

RickRick

posted on 7/4/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
now that's somewere i would never have concidered mounting it. what part of the loom means you need to mount it there currently my loom has all the lighting parts removed from it but it's still full length from the bike
snapper

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I like ECU's in the dry and the cool so have mounted on the firewall inside on the passenger side. I have MegaJolt and EDIS, the EDIS is next to it as i found that the EDIS is known to fail if it gets to hot.
In a 7 it will get hotter in the engine bay than a Sierra.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

iiyama

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry mate but I cant think of a worse place to mount an ECU then over the engine and on the cradle. If the heat dont get it the vibration will!

[Edited on 7/4/08 by iiyama]

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

stuart_g

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry mate but I cant think of a worse place to mount an ECU then over the engine and on the cradle. If the heat dont get it the vibration will!

It will be mounted in some anti vibration foam in some sort of box.

I don't actually think it is going to be a problem as in the R1 it is rigid mounted right on top of the engine below the airbox not under the seat as on most bikes so it is subject to the same vibration and lots of heat. Where it is now it is actually cooler than in the bike.

[Edited on 7/4/08 by stuart_g]

stuart_g

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
now that's somewere i would never have concidered mounting it. what part of the loom means you need to mount it there currently my loom has all the lighting parts removed from it but it's still full length from the bike

On the 05 R1 (not sure about 04) the ECU is under the airbox as stated in above post. The loom fitted better this way round with the connections for the speed sensor, neutral switch, earth strap e.t.c at the back of the engine. I did originally want to have it on the scuttle beside the battery but the loom didn't work out that way.

The wiring you can see cable tied to the engine cradle is the only wiring on show the rest of the ugly bits such as starter solenoid, relays e.t.c are all on the inside of the car where they can not be seen.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.