Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: in-tank fuel resistant wiring
AdamR

posted on 29/12/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
in-tank fuel resistant wiring

I've been playing with my in-tank EFI pump and sender unit, and have managed to accidentally strip a small chunk of insulation off the earth wire that goes to the sender.

This could potentially short against the positive terminal and presumably result in a rather large explosion. Ouch.

The bit of wire in question has a spade connector at one end and is soldered to the sender board at the other. It would be dead easy to replace. But do I need to get wire with special fuel-resistent insulation, or is the usual stuff ok?

AdamR

posted on 29/12/07 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Pic for your reference. Everything is immersed directly into the fuel. All I want to do is replace the black wire.

fuel pump in the tank
fuel pump in the tank

jacko

posted on 29/12/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR

This could potentially short against the positive terminal and presumably result in a rather large explosion. Ouch.

The bit of wire in question has a spade connector at one end and is soldered to the sender board at the other. It would be dead easy to replace. But do I need to get wire with special fuel-resistent insulation, or is the usual stuff ok?

I did not think there were live wires in a fuel tank !!!!!!
Jacko

[Edited on 29/12/07 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/12/07 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Apollo 11

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 29/12/07 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
on my 200sx it had the fuel pump in the tank, which had both +ve and -ve wires going to it.. nothing to worry about

RichieW

posted on 29/12/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote

Mines a different design but it also has live wires dipped in the tank. It has made me wonder on a couple of occasions but I am in no danger of filling the tank with fuel yet.

The white plastic bit towards the bottom has a tightly coiled piece of very fine wire running along the inside of the curve acting as a simple variable resistor with the float arm.

The tank is so heavy it would probably contain a nuclear explosion anyway.

AdamR

posted on 29/12/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Apollo 11... heh heh

So does anyone know if I need special wire?

MkIndy7

posted on 29/12/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly its one of those strange situations where there's that much fuel or vapour.. there's vertually no oxygen left to burn?

Would like to think so lol

RichieW

posted on 29/12/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
I guess 12 volts isn't enough to get it going. Think of all the starting problems people have trying to get explosions going in the engine cylinders. Sometimes even the massive voltages there dont always manage it.
Phil.J

posted on 29/12/07 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think I recall that silicone instrument wire is the stuff to use in fuel tanks?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.