Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ignition amplifier
jabbahutt

posted on 22/8/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
ignition amplifier

Morning

Can anyone please confirm whether all pinto engine set ups with a carb, dizzy etc will require one of these amplifier units to run properly?

The original car had injection which I've swapped for a single 32/36 weber.

Every thread I've read indicates that one of these amplifier things is needed to run the car, am I correct?

The dizzy is points based (Bosch I belieive) and only has a single wire coming from it with no three pin plug etc .

Any clarification appreciated. If I do need one, what sort and are they still available. I appreciate that a points based system is old hat but i'm just trying to get the car to run at the moment, there will be plenty of time to modify later.

If however upgrading to an electronic ignition will be easier than finding a amplifier and fitting it which would be the easiest/cheapest one to use.

Cheers
Nigel

[Edited on 22/8/07 by jabbahutt]

DarrenW

posted on 22/8/07 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
If you mean the amplifier in this pic - then no not needed for points based dizzy. Iam surprised however that an injected pinto engine has a points dizzy fitted.

Ref electronic there are 2 types (Ford OE that is) - hall effect and inductive. If you do go for electronic please opt for inductive (no ECU, just the amplifier) as it saves a few head aches. You could of course retro fit electronic into your points dizzy (lumenition etc).

[Edited on 22/8/07 by DarrenW] Rescued attachment 21082007200.jpg
Rescued attachment 21082007200.jpg

jabbahutt

posted on 22/8/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks Darren. Yes it is a points based dizzy fitted as I changed it as to be honest the eletrics involved with electronic ignition etc terrified me!!

I fitted a points based as I thought it would be simpler to get working and then as my knowledge/confidence grew I could alter at a later date.

Many thanks for clarifiying things for me.

Cheers
Nigel

DarrenW

posted on 22/8/07 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
you are probs right about the points system being easier at first. You may need ballast resistor as well (im not sure) and the correct coil.

To be honest there seems to be a lot of myth and folklore surrounding the electronic but it is easy when you have the correct bits. If you may be going for electronic in the near future to be honest id do it now as it means you can get the wiring nice and neat and not have to refit it later. But having said that many people use the points and report no major issues.

I also found getting the MJLJ on mine was just as easy as the early electronic system as well. VR sensor took some sussing out (well actually only fitting the trigger wheel and VR sensor bracket). The wiring is very easy. PC link was a bugger for me but the new software is so much more user friendly and cured my bugs.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.