Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: handbrake warning light
zxrlocost

posted on 21/4/06 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
handbrake warning light

Im just looking at the switch on my handbrake. its got the push in switch and a brass coloured strip which goes from one side with a screw over the push in switch to the other side which has also got a little screw

thats it am I missing something because no matter what I do ie hold the wire on one of the screws push the switch in and out etc

my test light stays on

I didnt take the handbrake from the car so dont know how its originally connected

thanks chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Peter M

posted on 21/4/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Does the light stay on with wire disconnected if it does then the brake fluid level may be low as it doubles up as h/brake ,low brake fluid light.
If it goes out when disconected from handbrake then the fault lies around h/brake switch.

zxrlocost

posted on 21/4/06 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
no sorry mate Im just using a test bulb on the handbrake switch at the mo

havent got that far yet

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Peter M

posted on 21/4/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Normally h/brake switches work on earthing the warning light.Wire goes to switch via terminal/screw the switch is then normally earthed via mounting screw.So with h/brake on the switched is earthed to chassis,with h/brake off the switch should be open circuit.If light is on with h/brake on/off then either the switch is faulty or you have wired the the switch wrong.Try with switch off the h/brake and see if with your test lamp if you can by operating switch for the light to go on/off.
zxrlocost

posted on 21/4/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
think the switch must be missing something as theres no break in the whole thing ie its a metal strip which goes round the switch and is held on by the two screws

so wherever you touch theres its a permanent connection I think

ta chris

BKLOCO

posted on 21/4/06 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
There should be a male spade connector above the brass strip that you are describing.
It sounds as if this has been broken off.
A common occurance.
New switch or a dashboard switch is the answer. Handbrake switch is not a requirement but it is used as the brake fluid warning lamp test switch which is an SVA requirement.
a dash mounted switch will do as an alternative but the hand brake switches are available as a spare part.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

zxrlocost

posted on 21/4/06 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have the savage warning light its not a switch though

so dont i need the handbrake one to work for the sva

Dusty

posted on 21/4/06 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
sierra switch pic. You need a method of testing the low fluid warning light from the driving seat. A 'handbrake' switch does this and is not needed in its own right. You could use a dash mounted switch.

[Edited on 21/4/06 by Dusty] Rescued attachment hbs.jpg
Rescued attachment hbs.jpg

zxrlocost

posted on 21/4/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
great pic mate thanks mine is missing the spade connector part

ta chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.