Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis Earth Points
Ferrino

posted on 18/3/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis Earth Points

Is it OK to have multiple earthing points on the chassis (ie. using the chassis tubes to carry current back to the battery)? I hear of so many electrical gremlins linked to poor earthing.

I was thinking of having 3 points - one at the front for headlights+fan, one under the dash for instruments, and one at the back for fuel pump + lights.

Or do some people do without chassis earthing altogether and run cables all the way to the battery?

bigrich

posted on 18/3/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
i have an earth point in every corner and one behind the dash plus the battery -ve earthed to the chassis. no problems yet,used m6 nutserts for earth points with bolts and ring terminals.
smart51

posted on 18/3/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have an earth point at the back for rear lights and fuel level sensor. It is quite common. No problems yet.

There is so little extra effort in fitting a bit of wire into the loom that I wonder why looms are made without them. The hassel of drilling and tapping a hole in the rear of the chassis is easily outweighed by running a 2 metre length of wire back to the battery.

omega 24 v6

posted on 18/3/06 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
You could always have an insulated return system where all earths come back to the battery. When I say all i mean all the main one/s which are joine to many minor ones with heatshrink terminals and sleeving.
nitram38

posted on 18/3/06 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I have an earth point at the back for rear lights and fuel level sensor. It is quite common. No problems yet.

There is so little extra effort in fitting a bit of wire into the loom that I wonder why looms are made without them. The hassel of drilling and tapping a hole in the rear of the chassis is easily outweighed by running a 2 metre length of wire back to the battery.

You would have to double the amount of wires or use a very large single cable. It is simplier to use the chassis.

k33ts

posted on 18/3/06 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
i agree with nitram the chassis is the biggest conducter why not use it, plus if you run seperate earths youve got twice the chance of getting a fault and twice the headache trying to find it.

weld a bolt m6 to chassis in the points you mentioned and one near the battery for the earth neg supply.

nitram have you got your cat 2 yet?
let us know when you have and ill tell you what and where.

nitram38

posted on 19/3/06 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
K33ts, I sent you a u2u.
Can you email me the details before I buy?
It will probably be a Toad!

wilkingj

posted on 19/3/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
I would use at least an M8 bolt for the Main Battery to Chassis connection.. Remember there is 200-300 Amps flowing when starting. IMHO M6 isnt enough. ie you want a good sized ring tag suitable for the large current flow (worst case).

I welded a bit of 3mm Angle Iron to the chassis with a M8 hole in it. Hmmm That might have even been a M10

Earth Lug (My Welding!!!)
Earth Lug (My Welding!!!)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 19/3/06 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Through the chassis is the normal way

Earth points at both front corners.
Main earth point in engine bay -- for engine. battery and ECU earth -- use a tag strip with two holes -- one for the main heavy duty connections the other for the ignition.
Earth point under scuttle for instruments.
Earth points at both rear corners.

[Edited on 19/3/06 by britishtrident]

smart51

posted on 19/3/06 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

You would have to double the amount of wires or use a very large single cable. It is simplier to use the chassis.

You will only have to use 1 wire for the earth. The one wire won'y ahve to be too thick. IT has to carry the current of all your rear lights at once. About 5A? A bit more to be on the safe side. No problem.

Ferrino

posted on 20/3/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! I will stick to the original plan of using chassis earthing points at front, rear and under dash.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.