Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very weak charging
stevegough

posted on 28/5/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Very weak charging

Having a problem with charging - just changed the engine, back on the road for a couple of days, and the battery went flat 15 miles from home. Breakdown brought me back, charged the battery with charger overnight, charged up fine ( battery is Bosch, less than a year old). Started up fine, but charge warning light is glowing dimly. Tightened aux belt, still the same replaced alternator with one off the new engine (I had used my old alternator which worked fine before the engine blew). Exactly the same result - lamp glows but not at full brightness.

Any ideas guys (and gals!)?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Ben_Copeland

posted on 28/5/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Earthing problem? Loose nut on power cable for alternator?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RichardK

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Coincidence and the alt is shagged, did you have to wire in an additional bulb to make the charge light go off if it happens to be an led? Maybe that bulbs blown??

The alt wont be charging the battery if that lamps on mate.

Just a couple of ideas to try.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 28/5/11 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BaileyPerformance

posted on 28/5/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Having a problem with charging - just changed the engine, back on the road for a couple of days, and the battery went flat 15 miles from home. Breakdown brought me back, charged the battery with charger overnight, charged up fine ( battery is Bosch, less than a year old). Started up fine, but charge warning light is glowing dimly. Tightened aux belt, still the same replaced alternator with one off the new engine (I had used my old alternator which worked fine before the engine blew). Exactly the same result - lamp glows but not at full brightness.

Any ideas guys (and gals!)?

Hi,
I would suggest its the live wire from the battery (or back of starter) to the alternator, remove an clean the crimps, chk the actual crimps for signs of erosion.

Is it a standard 2 wire alternator? or does it have a extra wire? (like the jap ones)

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spiderman

posted on 28/5/11 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Coincidence and the alt is shagged, did you have to wire in an additional bulb to make the charge light go off if it happens to be an led? Maybe that bulbs blown??

The alt wont be charging the battery if that lamps on mate.

Just a couple of ideas to try.

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 28/5/11 by RichardK]

What are you talking about? If the bulb is glowing dimly then it is not blown, why would you wire in an additional bulb to make the one he has go out? If he has replaced the the ign light bulb with an led then he would require a resistor in series to excite the alternater windings, but as he has changed the engine not the charge light I assume it was charging before and as he has changed the alternator for a known good one I have my doubts that both alternators are unservicable. I think he has already worked out that his battery is not being charged by the fact that it keeps going flat.

Check charge from alternator at the terminal, with a volt meter should be 13.5 volts-14.5 volts if you have charging voltage at the alternator then you have a bad connection, either in the wire to battery, to the ign light or a bad earth connection. Check the connections you have removed, clean them and re connect. Is the engine earthed to the chassis?
Most electrical problems on cars are a bad earth connection.If you have done all of these things then the only other problem I can think of is the you have trapped a wire whist changing the engine and have damaged it internally. If you suspect that is the problem then just run a temporary cable in parallel to the suspect cable.
If you do not know how to do these checks Steve send me a u2u and I will reply with my phone number and talk you through it.

Spider

stevegough

posted on 29/5/11 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info, I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the alternator was ok, and that it was a bad connection somewhere. However, I wondered if there was something obvious I was missing elsewhere.

As 'spiderman' has said, I don't need to put a second bulb in (I'm using 'bright 6' and the charging was fine before the engine swap.

On the first start up with the new engine, the charging light was on full initially, then after a few mins running, it dimmed down - I put it down to the battery being quite discharged through the fortnight's lay - up.

I will run through the testing sequence (I have already partly done this - but it isn't easy - access is a bit tight - see the pic!)

Description
Description

I'll let you know what the problem was - when [ and if!] I find it.

Luego Locost C20XE.

02GF74

posted on 29/5/11 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
As 'spiderman' has said, I don't need to put a second bulb in (I'm using 'bright 6' and the charging was fine before the engine swap.

I wouldn 't discount that as it ias a very simple test. Unless someone corrects me, BRIGHT 6 use LEDs so if a LED with drop resistor is used instead of a charge light lamp (i.e. filament bulb), it will supply 1/10 of the current a filament bulb would supply. I have home made LED lamp with a ressitor in parallel to increase the current tyhat is needed to self-excite the alternator.. Disconnect your charge lamp and using a wire connect to 12 V via a small bulb the alternator and run engine. It is a 5 min test.

On the first start up with the new engine, the charging light was on full initially, then after a few mins running, it dimmed down - I put it down to the battery being quite discharged through the fortnight's lay - up.

^^^ Strange .... alternator earthing is done via the body - check that there is clean metal between it and bracket and engine (scrape any paint off), then check earth strap from engine to battery. If you have jump lead, then clip on to battery earth and alternator body/bracket and give engine a whizz. That too is a 5 min test.

adithorp

posted on 29/5/11 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Check all the earths and alternator cables for loose/poor connections and for any trapped wires. Put a volt meter accross the battery then try a jump lead between the battery -ve and alternator body as a quick check for main earth.

It is worth trying a test lamp from charge light connector (disconnect the existing wire) to +ve and then start and check charging to check that circuit is exciting the coils as if the problem is a trapped or poor connection it could have been OK when you first re-started but then failed.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

v8kid

posted on 29/5/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'll put my 10p on a shagged battery. What odds are you guys offering?
Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

stevegough

posted on 29/5/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

I wouldn 't discount that as it ias a very simple test. Unless someone corrects me, BRIGHT 6 use LEDs so if a LED with drop resistor is used instead of a charge light lamp (i.e. filament bulb), it will supply 1/10 of the current a filament bulb would supply. I have home made LED lamp with a ressitor in parallel to increase the current tyhat is needed to self-excite the alternator.. Disconnect your charge lamp and using a wire connect to 12 V via a small bulb the alternator and run engine. It is a 5 min test.

thanks for that, I see your point, but to get to the bright 6 wiring, I first have to unbolt and remove the dash - that takes about an hour! - And as I've said previously, it was working before I changed the engine, so I don't think messing with the charge-feed / indicator lamp is necessary.....yet! Instead, could I run a wire (tempoarily) straight from battery to the exite terminal on the Alt?

^^^ Strange .... alternator earthing is done via the body - check that there is clean metal between it and bracket and engine (scrape any paint off), then check earth strap from engine to battery. If you have jump lead, then clip on to battery earth and alternator body/bracket and give engine a whizz. That too is a 5 min test.

I have already replaced the alt, cleaning up the earthing cable on the bracket (earths alt to block) and the block earth must be ok as the startermotor works fine.....but...it is an easy test, as you say....when I've shed my two grandkids I'm babysitting this morning, I'll get to it!

Luego Locost C20XE.

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/5/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Cheers!

No power supply to armature, but only 5p.

stevegough

posted on 29/5/11 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cheers!

What odds are you offering on your 10p? If its the battery, I'll eat it!--its almost brand new. Still, its not unknown to happen.

Luego Locost C20XE.

stevegough

posted on 29/5/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Check all the earths and alternator cables for loose/poor connections and for any trapped wires. Put a volt meter accross the battery then try a jump lead between the battery -ve and alternator body as a quick check for main earth.

It is worth trying a test lamp from charge light connector (disconnect the existing wire) to +ve and then start and check charging to check that circuit is exciting the coils as if the problem is a trapped or poor connection it could have been OK when you first re-started but then failed.

Cheers, Adrian - The battery was 13.65v with the engine off, yesterday - will test further this morning when the brats have gone home!!

Luego Locost C20XE.

stevegough

posted on 30/5/11 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
right, I've just spent a couple of hours on it to no avail....

1: replaced the alternator with my own.
2: doubled up the Heavy duty +ve feed with one from battery to alt.
3: doubled up the exiter wire from a connection halfway along (not dismantled dash - YET).
4: bat voltage (13.45 engine off)
5: bat voltage (13.08 engine running) - bright 6 glowing slightly.

6: no change with any of the above extra wires in place.

7: checking feed to halfway point on the exiter wire is showing a possible problem:
..........with ign off, voltage at the feed is nil.
..........with ign on, is shows 6.5 volts, when you start the engine, this goes up to 13.0
..........is this showing a possible poor feed to the exiter for the electromagnets in the alt?

I am in the garage with my laptop, going to try and put a heavy duty earth directly alt body to battery now (as a few of you suggested). Then I'm thinking of stripping the dash out to get at the bright 6 wiring.

Watch this space - more suggestions are very welcome

Luego Locost C20XE.

v8kid

posted on 30/5/11 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Does that mean my 10p is at risk?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

stevegough

posted on 30/5/11 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Fault finally located! All you guys who said earth fault on the alternator to engine - that's what it was!!!

I had cleaned the alt earthing wire, but reconnected it wrongly! DOH! This short red wire went from the top alt bracket to the manifold bolt. When I changed the engine (and each time I changed the alt) I reconnected it to the washer above the insulated bush on the other end of the alt bracket - so I was effectively earthing the inlet manifold to itself - He! He! what a plonker!

Seriously, lots of kudos to you guys for trying to help me, I didn't need an auto electrician - just a psychiatrist!

Cheers, and thanks to you all.

Luego Locost C20XE.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/5/11 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good Good, looks like i might visit next week after all lol

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

stevegough

posted on 30/5/11 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Good Good, looks like i might visit next week after all lol

Look forward to it (I'll send you a PM tonight regarding what shifts I'm on.)

Luego Locost C20XE.

stevegough

posted on 30/5/11 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Does that mean my 10p is at risk?

You can send me your 10p whenever you want, Kiddo!

Luego Locost C20XE.

v8kid

posted on 30/5/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Do you accept postal orders?

02GF74

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I had cleaned the alt earthing wire, but reconnected it wrongly! DOH! This short red wire went from the top alt bracket to the manifold bolt.

Can't say I understand that since alternators make the earth contact via the body so no need fo any extra wires .... but then I do not know exactly whcih make/model you are using. Seem to recall it is Lucas - not come across Lucas alt needing separate earthing ut then I do n ot know details of every model.

What you need is thick wire from battery earth to chassis. Then you need a thick wire from the engine/gearbox (I use bolt that holds engine to gearbox housing near the starter motor) to the chassis, ideally to the same point as above.

Remember the starter motor curren t whcih can be several hundrad amps will want to flow through that circuit.

stevegough

posted on 30/5/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Can't say I understand that since alternators make the earth contact via the body so no need fo any extra wires .... but then I do not know exactly whcih make/model you are using. Seem to recall it is Lucas - not come across Lucas alt needing separate earthing ut then I do not know details of every model.

Now fixed, thanks - just put the standard Alternator earth cable back on the correct bolt. - And then went for a good 30-mile steady blat wiv the missus in the sunshine.

The Alternator on my engine (and standard C20XE engines) bottom is mounted on large plastic and collars - the top mount with the slider adjuster is solidly mounted, but the mount is fixed to the inlet manifold via a rubber collar - this ensures the whole unit is isolated electrically (I don't know if that is the designed reason, or whether its to prevent shock / vibration damage). The unit is then earthed from the slider bolt to the manifold - only I mistakenly put the alt end on the upper mounting bolt instead.

It has been a good exercise in noting exactly what goes where when I do a strip down - I've also learnt a few things about how an alt works.

One further good point has come from it for me - I've changed my breakdown cover from my ultra-reliable tin top to the kit. I've had breakdown cover for 25 years and never used it!

Luego Locost C20XE.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.