Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Led rear lights
steve m

posted on 25/4/11 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Led rear lights

Has or does anyone use LED tail and brake lights on there 7?

My caterham style lights in daylight are pathertic, and ive found some LED direct replacement bulbs, that seem to offer
better lighting, and a much better brake light

are they legal?
are they better?

regards

steve

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/4/11 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
there's quite a range now, I'm damned if I can work out what's the best type either. They are legal but I tried them years ago and they were so dull I chucked them away but I guess these days they are much better. Soon going to get a set of LED Headlamps as they look just superb

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
LBMEFM

posted on 25/4/11 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
Passed SVA with LED Indicator and Stop/Tail bulbs and they look good to me. Forgot where I got them now. It may have been CBS but it was online.
LBMEFM

posted on 25/4/11 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
Passed SVA with LED Indicator and Stop/Tail bulbs and they look good to me. Forgot where I got them now. It may have been CBS but it was online.
big-vee-twin

posted on 25/4/11 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
The outer ring is a LED stop and tail light from SVC

[img] First Light Fitted
First Light Fitted
[/img]

[Edited on 25/4/11 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

splitrivet

posted on 25/4/11 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Use them in the works vehicle no problem, I think where they score in a lot of applications is they are more directional doing away with the need for a reflector.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

McLannahan

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I used them in my old MX5 for the fog lights. Worked quite well - A red bulb in a clear cluster. Cheaper now too than they used to be. I have the LED rears like BVT above too on KC. Not great in normal light but dim conditions and at night time - fantastic!

RazMan

posted on 25/4/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Try and find Luxeon LEDs as they are much brighter. The conventional LED 'bulb replacements' are very directional and have a narrow field of view so avoid them like the plague. Also do not use the white LEDs (except for front sidelights) as they end up very dim after being filtered by coloured lenses - eg. use red and amber for brake & indicator.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
james h

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I got these off a forum member from here, but I think they were originally bought off eBay. Originally designed for trailers I believe, but I saw a picture of a caterham with them on and they looked superb. I'm really happy with them - cheap, work well and look really good. Very simple to fix, 2 small holes (5mm?) and that's it!

rear
rear

James

steve m

posted on 25/4/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guy's

looks like i will invest in couple !!

steve

[Edited on 25/4/11 by steve m]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.