Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: indicator stalk...again
Miks15

posted on 29/5/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
indicator stalk...again

Right following on from my previous thread, i had a look in my haynes manual and i have finally worked out how the headlight switch is wired in. But i still cant work out what the four remaining wires are for.

In the haynes manual the stalk is in the side lights diagram. I assumed that it was used to cut the sidelights when the main beam was on, or something like that, but i can seem to get a connection nomatter what posistion i put the stalk in.

Has anyone got any ideas?

(the stalk only has left right flash and main beam)

Thanks
Mikkel

RAYLEE29

posted on 29/5/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
hi, the sidelights should stay on regardless of where your indicator stalk is.
are you using the original loom and relays /fusebox or a premier loom?
Ray

Miks15

posted on 29/5/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
im using a premier loom. so i dont think ill need to use these wires as i have a switch for the indicators main and flash.

Im just a little unsure as to what the other wires do.

Paul (Notts)

posted on 29/5/10 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
any help - not sure of the wher I got it from or how true it is....!!! Rescued attachment NearSideSwitchPinouts.jpg
Rescued attachment NearSideSwitchPinouts.jpg

RAYLEE29

posted on 29/5/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
ok sorry cant help with the premier loom know nothing about them perhaps a call to them may clear it up for you but if yo dont need any of the switching from it then id just remove it completely.
on mine there was extra wiring that went to the bulb failure module which made things more complex.
if you find the switch in the index part of the wiring diagrams it tells you each diagram its found in with a grid ref too so you can find the wires and trace where they originally went from there.
hope ive helped
Ray

Mr G

posted on 29/5/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
The premier wiring loom we used gave different instructions for the mk1/mk2 indicator stalks (I.e relay connections etc)

You've seen this bit I pressume?

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Miks15

posted on 29/5/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
sorry i didnt really explainh very well what im after.

Basically ive been trying to work out if i can use my BMW indicator stalk in the premier wiring loom. I havent even looked at wiring loom yet, im have just been looking to see if i can make sense of the stalk. Initially i found an earth wire and then found indicators and flash off this, but couldnt find the main beam. But it turns out it uses two different wires so i have now found out which wires are used for indicators flash and main beam.

Im just confused as too what the other wires are for. In my haynes manual for my donor car, the stalk is present on the side lights diagram wired into it somehow. But i dont understand how. I dont think i need to used this, because as far as i can understand i only need the 4 switches to work (indicators flash and main) which i have.

Im just curious as too what they are for.

drury318

posted on 29/5/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Is it something to do with a BMW using the ind stalk as a parking light switch with the ign off, i.e. put l/h ind on without ign & the L/h sidelamps come on to park etc?Dennis
Miks15

posted on 29/5/10 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
drury, thats antoher though i had, it seems that it only switches left side or right side at a time, not both at once. I have tried to take a picture of the haynes manual but i dont have my memory stick adaptor for my phone so cant get it up.

also in the haynes manual the stalk is wired through the ignition switch, so for that to work it would need the ignition switch on, which kind of defeats the object a bit. So still a bit unsure.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.