Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electrics through trans tunnel????
Bumble

posted on 4/2/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Electrics through trans tunnel????

Done loads of searching on here, but what's the best way people have routed electrics through trans tunnel? I have brake line on top drivers side, fuel on bottom passenger side. Plan is to run electrics on same side as fuel but at top. Any issues with this??? Some pics of what you have done would be very useful.
Cheers,
Matt Rescued attachment IMG_5018.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_5018.JPG

blakep82

posted on 4/2/10 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
i can't really see it makes a huge amount of difference, but i'd put it on the same side as the brakes.

on my car, i'm actually running brake lines and electrics inside the cab, because fuel and exhaust has to go in the tunnel

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Miks15

posted on 4/2/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
ive done it top of the passenger side, just make sure that its securely fitted, nothing hanging that could catch the prop say. Either use the cable tie things riveted in, or use p clips.

Shouldnt be a problem

coozer

posted on 4/2/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Same as mine, ran the wires along the top opposite the brake line. Wrapped in spiral and split convoluted stuff...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Humbug

posted on 4/2/10 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've got fuel lines on driver's side, brake + leccy on the other side.
twybrow

posted on 4/2/10 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Brakes and fuel down one side, and my electrics go down the other side (all at the top). No problems with their routing, despite a prop failure!

beagley

posted on 4/2/10 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
This may be a stupid question from someone who doesn't know a whole lot, but could you run the plumbing through the chassis members?

Would make for a pretty installation I think, a beast to re-wire/plumb though.....

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

twybrow

posted on 4/2/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
The issue with running in chassis members would be how to get them in and out, knowing that the tubes are all welded to the next tube and are therefore closed....
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 4/2/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought running through the chassis would be difficult as how would you fix the pipes in place to stop them chaffing on the inside of the chassis rails. Also diagnosing faults would be made more difficult.
matty h

posted on 4/2/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on the amount of cables required at the back a 7 core trailer light cable could be run down the tunnel as suggested well out of the way of the prop. and fixed with p clips or cable tie mounts.
big-vee-twin

posted on 4/2/10 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my layout, brake line on the bottom, wiring will go opposite on the bottom, fuel on top rails

[Edited on 4/2/10 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

StevieB

posted on 4/2/10 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a lcoost racer the other day which had plastic plumbing pipe fixed in the transmission tunnel and trailer cable running through it.

The big advantage being that the cables can be pulled out really easily in the event of a failure without having to take the whole car apart. Quite a neat slution really, and the wires were well protected too.

blakep82

posted on 4/2/10 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I saw a lcoost racer the other day which had plastic plumbing pipe fixed in the transmission tunnel and trailer cable running through it.

The big advantage being that the cables can be pulled out really easily in the event of a failure without having to take the whole car apart. Quite a neat slution really, and the wires were well protected too.

i'm going to put my fuel hose through it in case it ever splits, so it just runs out the ends of the pipe, insead of spraying over exhausts and stuff

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

iank

posted on 4/2/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty h
Depending on the amount of cables required at the back a 7 core trailer light cable could be run down the tunnel as suggested well out of the way of the prop. and fixed with p clips or cable tie mounts.

You can get up to 13 way trailer cable, but for the cost I'd run 2 lengths of 5 way thinwall multicable.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/cable/multicorecable.php

Not sure about IVA and using plastic pipe, as the cable will move around inside as the car corners (unless the diameter is very close) and eventually fail. Fine for racing obviously due to the much lower mileages.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

speedyxjs

posted on 4/2/10 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have mine alongside the fuel lines

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

designer

posted on 4/2/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Wire, on the same panel, should be mounted above fuel and hydraulic lines.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 4/2/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Mines as you propose.. Just keep the wiring tidy, and held at regular intervals (<30cm I think)..

Dan

jacko

posted on 4/2/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at your photo it looks like you are having a type 9 gear box like i have if so i found it best to run the wires on the o/s because the revers switch on the box is on that side
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hicost blade

posted on 4/2/10 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Im doing mine with 7 core trailer wire it has 6 15amp wires and 1 25amp for the fuel pump. I will have some extra left over for beer tokens.................
wilkingj

posted on 4/2/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the Fuel Lines away from ALL Wiring.
It was a FAIL Point for the SVA, and probably is too for the IVA.

Fuel lines and sparks do not mix well at any time, let alone in a accident.

I put my Fuel line and wiring on opposite sides of the Tranny Tunnel.

You know it makes sense!
Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Bumble

posted on 4/2/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all so far....plenty to think about.
Jacko (or is that Clouseau)....you're right I am running a type 9 and o/s would make more sense but wiring would then be on the bottom...is that OK? Also, how did you determine I was using a type 9 form the photo??
Cheers,
Matt
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Looking at your photo it looks like you are having a type 9 gear box like i have if so i found it best to run the wires on the o/s because the revers switch on the box is on that side
Jacko

jacko

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Indy too and i can see the same gear box mounting plates on your chassis

I cant see any reason why you cant put the wiring at the bottom its away from the fuel pipes

[Edited on 4/2/10 by jacko]

MakeEverything

posted on 4/2/10 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
if i were to resurrect the build and start wiring, i would have multi pin connectors at the front and rear bulkheads, making the loom in three sections. This way, fault finding would be really easy, and replacement simpler.

The conduit for the cables is a great idea. MEchanical protection in the event of a prop failure which would also take out the fuel and brake lines. Id run the fuel and cables seperately in steel conduit though.

[Edited on 4/2/10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

blakep82

posted on 8/2/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
I cant see any reason why you cant put the wiring at the bottom its away from the fuel pipes

i think the idea is that if you're going to get a fuel leak, its going to drip down onto the electrics, insulated electrics...

but look at your carbs/fuel rail, whats underneath? a starter motor. and yes i've had a leaky fuel rail on my old bmw, pi$$ed fuel all over my starter motor. always took a deep breath befor starting it lol

can't see its a fail point, but thats the thinking behind it anyway i think

turbodisplay

posted on 8/2/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
What about an injection fuel pump, that has high pressure fuel 1" from a 10A + supply!

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.