Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: speedo pick up bracket
jabbahutt

posted on 10/8/09 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
speedo pick up bracket

Morning all

Could do with a bit of advice regarding my speedo sender bracket. Originally I was using magnets and a pick up but I sited it too far forward and a nasty pot hole mangage to move the gearbox and prop shaft enough to destroy it.

So I moved to the rear and used a pick up detecting the prop shaft bolts but as the car was finished I tried to come up with a bracket that wouldn't foul the handrake etc and it run down the tunnel from the rear to the handbrake bracket. The problem I'm having is after 20 minutes driving or so the bracket is moving either due to heat or vibration. Get home each time remove all the trans tunnel trim only to find that the problem is no longer there.

So I have no confidence in my bracket. Would you be so kind as to show me where you've located your speedo pick up and what sort of bracket you've made.

This is the only thing spoiling my driving and I'd like to get it sorted to enjoy the rest of Summer, if there is any

Cheers
Nigel

[Edited on 10/8/09 by jabbahutt]

lotusmadandy

posted on 10/8/09 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have drilled a hole in the rear drive flange and tapped it to m6.the digidash kit came with two bolts with magnets in the head,one of these i thread glued into the hole facing the inside of the car.
I then made a sturdy bracket and fitted it to the mk upright,then fitted the pick up through a 8mm hole drilled in the bracket.
It has been like this for 2 years/1000 miles and never moved.

Andy

jabbahutt

posted on 10/8/09 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
any photos of the install?

Thanks
Nigel

Humbug

posted on 10/8/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
You don't say what type of diff you've got but, if it's any help, here's a pic of how I mounted my sensor on the webbing of a live axle casing

The magnets are on the back of the diff flange

[Edited on 10.08.2009 by Humbug] Rescued attachment Speedo sensor mount.JPG
Rescued attachment Speedo sensor mount.JPG

jabbahutt

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
It's a Sierra diff with push in drive shafts if thats any help to anyone. Main problem is lack of space now everything is assembled. I thought trying to attach a sturdy bracket directly to the diff but for the life of me can't figure out where.

Snuggs

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
My bracket is 5mm ali mounted on one of the diff back cover bolts reading the driveshaft bolt heads.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

jabbahutt

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Snuggs, very helpful. My only problem with that set up is push in drive shafts not bolt in. Anyone any idea of a similar solution to Snuggs but using the prop shaft bolts instead?

Cheers all for the ideas so far.

lotusmadandy

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I found that when i tried to use the propshaft it spun too fast and the speedo dropped out at 33mph.That is the reason i used a drive flange.Incidentaly i use disks on the rear so my method wont work with drums.I dont have a photo as i didnt think to take one DOH.
Jake_truck has push in shafts on his indy and has used jb weld to stick a magnet onto a shaft,then made a bracket to hold the pickup mounted on the diff casing.He like me has had no problems with movement.

jabbahutt

posted on 10/8/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just found a photo of the diff fitted. I've arrowed an original hole on the diff that isn't used. Maybe I can somehow make a bracket to fit using this hole.

I have no problem with the prop shaft bolts when the speedo is working then it's fine.

Any clever people got an idea as to the best way to do it to avoid any problems?

Cheers again

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 10/8/09 by jabbahutt]

Slater

posted on 10/8/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Nigel i have the same diff as you, i alaldited two magnets to the diff flange then made a z shaped braket out of ali and fixed it to the chassis rail under the flange with 2 rivnuts. Its done 1000 miles so far. No pics as i am en route to lagos.
Keith

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

jabbahutt

posted on 10/8/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Keith if when you return from Lagos you could post a photo of your set up I'd be grateful.

Cheers
Nigel

Slater

posted on 10/8/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Nigel. Ok i'll see if i can find a pic on my laptop, once i get there, failing that i'll draw you a picture.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

jabbahutt

posted on 10/8/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks Keith that would be much appreciated if you have time.

Nigel

robinj66

posted on 10/8/09 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Nigel - I have the same diff as you. I drilled a shallow depression on the casing of the driveshaft and thenaraldited a single magnet in. The bracket is mounted on the diff mounting bolt (so it moves with the diff) Rescued attachment P6240012.JPG
Rescued attachment P6240012.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.