Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fog light legalities
r1_pete

posted on 14/2/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Fog light legalities

What is the regulation regarding fog lights? I seem to remember that from a particular date vehicled should only be fitted with one on the right? can anyone clarify for me please.
Cheers.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 14/2/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
i have only fitted one to my car on the offside of the rear boot tub, the face of the light MUST BE VERTICAL!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 14/2/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
i think you can still have one on each side can't you? if you've only got one, then it must not be on the left, so anywhere between centre and the right is ok.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

matt_claydon

posted on 14/2/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
You can have one or two. If only one then it has to be in the centre or to the right (for RHD car). There is also a minimum separation from the brake light and the lens must be vertical.
bigrich

posted on 14/2/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Before 01/04/1980 no requirement for a rear fog
Used after this date fog lamp required fitted from the centre line to the O/S of the vehicle.
Must be vertical for SVA but no requirement for MOT to be Vertical

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Ninehigh

posted on 15/2/09 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
What's the minimum separation? Most cars I've seen have the foglight on the same cluster so it can't be more than a few cm

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 15/2/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
the only requirement is that the lens is verticle - sure there is a minimum height from floor too - it doesnt matter about left and right either - if it did why does the nissan note have it center? yet the qashqai on the right for right hand drive on the left for left hand drive? i would keep 4 inches minimum distance between brake light and fog..

davidinhull

posted on 15/2/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=98693&page=&contribmessage=none

does this link take you to a previous thread? if it does I think I got all my answers on there - I was interested in MOT legalities and not SVA which I discovered to be very different

mad-butcher

posted on 15/2/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
piccy Rescued attachment Lighting-Back.jpg
Rescued attachment Lighting-Back.jpg

Ninehigh

posted on 15/2/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
There's no way the minimum separation is 100mm, the fog light on my car touches the brake lights.

davidinhull

posted on 16/2/09 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
There's no way the minimum separation is 100mm, the fog light on my car touches the brake lights.

that could well be the diference between SVA and MOT rules?

Ninehigh

posted on 16/2/09 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly, but then why have those differences? I mean you wouldn't be able to use a Mondeo light cluster because it's one set of rules for one, one for another

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 17/2/09 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
thats because there are different rules

normal road cars go through type approval and that changes every so often - they update it to suit the current way of thinking at the time..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.