Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring of Savage Switches & Lights for night & day driving
RazMan

posted on 14/1/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I imagine there must be a few people out there with the kit neccessary to do this - failing that, some stripboard would probably do it (although not quite as professional looking)

It will of course depend on the number of switches in your dash array - I'm aiming for:

1. Engine Start
2. Fan switch
3. Fan speed (use aircon switch)
4. Rear Fog light
5. Washer jets
6. Noz
7. Traction control
8. Launch control
9. Door release (driver)
10. Door release (passenger)

Maybe this is a little ott for most builders, but I would say that a module built for 5 switches should cover most people's requirements. If more switches are installed you can always add another module accordingly.

[Edited on 14-1-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichieC

posted on 14/1/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Only fan and rear fog for me, but I intend to fit push button start after SVA.

Rgds

Richie

MikeRJ

posted on 15/1/06 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichieC
I like the idea of using the pot to adjust the "dim" night mode, would it also adjust the "full bright" when activated?

As shown, the birghtness adjustment is only for the night illumination, it dosen't affect the full brightness when activated (this is fixed by the resistor choices).

If this is something that you would like, then I could post a circuit for it.

RichieC

posted on 15/1/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Id definately fancy a a circuit. I reckon fitted into a nice little case with the rheostat on the outside would be a superb little addition.

Im happy for the night illumination to be fairly bright as long as it doesnt scare the sh** out of you when the fan kicks in at night
Any help greatly appreciated.
Kind Rgds

Richie

RazMan

posted on 16/1/06 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've just ordered all my switches from zxrlocost so I am committed now

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Id definately fancy a a circuit. I reckon fitted into a nice little case with the rheostat on the outside would be a superb little addition.

Im happy for the night illumination to be fairly bright as long as it doesnt scare the sh** out of you when the fan kicks in at night
Any help greatly appreciated.
Kind Rgds

Richie

Ok, I have a circuit designed in my head, but not had a chance to draw it yet. Will try to have a go tommorow lunchtime at work. It's really no more complex than the circuits I drew earlier.

RichieC

posted on 17/1/06 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thatll be much appreciated Mike thanks

Richie

RazMan

posted on 17/1/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Richie, If I understand you correctly, will your fan switch be an indicator that the fan kicks in (as normal from the sender unit) and also be a manual override? It is worth bearing in mind that these switches have a 'normal open' and 'normal closed' position so you can easily do this

Cheers,
Raz

RichieC

posted on 17/1/06 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, thats correct. The standard switch from the MNR loom does this so it shouldnt be too tricky to achieve.

Rgds

Rich

MikeRJ

posted on 17/1/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Here we go:

This uses two voltage regulators, an LM317T and an LM337T (ignore the LT1585, CAD package didn't have the proper symbol). Both are cheap and readily available parts. The LM337T is actualy a negative voltage regulator, but is used "upside down" in this circuit to adjust the voltage at the LED's cathode.

The other regulator, the LM317T is a conventional positive regulator, that provides a fixed positive voltage at the LED anode when the lights are turned on.

Both regulators are adjustable, and work like this:

VR1 controls overall brightness. This controls both the night illumination brightness, and the "activated" brightness of the LED.

VR2 controls only the night illumination brightness (in conjuction with VR1). Think of this control as a "contrast" control, it effectively controls the difference between night illumination and "activated" brightness. This pot would likely want to be a preset device that is set only one when you first install the system. The other one could be mounted on the dash for night time brightness setting.

This circuit only requires 2 extra diodes for each LED, which would probably be more convienient to build into the loom near the switches rather than put on a separate PCB to save the amount of wires needed.

Any comments are welcomed.

[Edited on 23/6/07 by MikeRJ]

RazMan

posted on 17/1/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Comments are welcomed

My comment is WOW

That looks as though it will do everything we've been looking at in this thread.
Nicely done Mike

Now all we need is some enterprising individual to suggest that he makes up these pcb's in exchange for beer vouchers

[Edited on 17-1-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

MikeRJ

posted on 17/1/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I just answered a PM to Richie about this. I'm only too happy to provide help in circuit design etc. and I can probably get a PCB layout knocked up, but I just don't have enough free time due to a young daughter and work comitments to organise group buys etc.

What I will do is knock up a quick 'proof of concept' prototype on stripboard just to be sure this works as intended, and list the required part numbers from RS/Farnell etc.

RazMan

posted on 17/1/06 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thats great Mike - much appreciated

If you could post a pic of the stripboard when its done, it would probably give most of us the courage to continue your good work.

Cheers,
Raz

RichieC

posted on 17/1/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your time and the U2U Mike.

Id be happy to crack on with a strip board once Ive seen one and if you can supply maplin/RS part numbers that would be superb. As far as a full PCB goes, Id need someone to do that for me as I dont have any equipment to do it.

Id prefer to have all of the components located in one case, to avoid much modification to the loom. However, I just realised now, the resistors are already incorporated into the savage switches? So the only external components would be the diodes I guess.
Also, are D5 D6 and D8 zener diodes?

Im going to have a look again at the circuit and put it into a 2 way setup as I only have fog and fan, although I expect to add a push start at some point (which ideally would just be lit when the ignition is on but the engine is off.....god how these things get out of hand)

Thanks again

Kind Rgds

Richie

[Edited on 17/1/06 by RichieC]

RazMan

posted on 17/1/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...I expect to add a push start at some point (which ideally would just be lit when the ignition is on but the engine is off.....god how these things get out of hand)

I didn't think about that either! I guess that will be connected to a switched (ignition) supply to light up before all the others do, regardless of lights. I need a lie down now

I've got a normal sized start button if you need one Rich - I've just ordered the slightly larger version.

Cheers,
Raz

RichieC

posted on 17/1/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
The options are endless eh I think its a nice touch that if the engine stalls, the start button lights up. So when pressed or engine isnt running (not entirely sure the best way to derive that) it lights up full, otherwise off or dim with the others.
I hadnt realised there were two sizes of start button, only Start and Engine Start. Did they change the size when they changed that?

Ill have it off you either way mate, Im not sure if I want to do it before SVA or leave it until after. I guess if the ignition key is still there theyll be happy so itll be key on and either rotate to start or press the button.

Good discussion this one, good fun playing with electronics, if only Id remembered more from school and my previous job

Kind Rgds

Richie

RazMan

posted on 17/1/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I know the feeling - I went through college and got 12 City & Guilds in telecommunications but now I have to rack my brain to think about simple electronic theory.
It was 30 years ago though

There is a normal sized 'start' and a slightly larger 'engine start' I just liked the idea of the bigger button but I've still got to think of a layout for the dash.

Cheers,
Raz

RichieC

posted on 17/1/06 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Well if youre wanting rid of the Start, Ill have it mate.
Just U2U me with details

Kind Rgds

Rich

stevebubs

posted on 17/1/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The options are endless eh I think its a nice touch that if the engine stalls, the start button lights up.

I did this by wiring the illumination in-line with the alternator warning light...

RichieC

posted on 17/1/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yeh of course that would work.

Thanks mate

Rich

RazMan

posted on 17/1/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

I did this by wiring the illumination in-line with the alternator warning light...

Of course!! [light bulb moment]

Cheers,
Raz

MikeRJ

posted on 17/1/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for your time and the U2U Mike.

I However, I just realised now, the resistors are already incorporated into the savage switches?

Yes, those are repesented by resistors R2, R3 and R4 on the circuit. I don't know the actual values so I guessed. Not really critical for this circuit anyway.

quote:

Also, are D5 D6 and D8 zener diodes?

No, they are the actual LEDs within the savage switches, along with their current limiting resistors R2-R4.

RichieC

posted on 17/1/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, Ill get me coat

Rgds

Richie

tks

posted on 5/3/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
mhhh

Are the savage button leds already 12volts ready??

When i put 5volts on the button it lights beutifully!! but offcourse don't know what happens when 12volts are feeded..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

RichieC

posted on 26/4/06 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone had any more thoughts about this one? Or indeed any component details?
Im currently about to replace my switches in the loom with Savage ones.

Thanks

Rich

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.