Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED's for dash warning lights
Hasse

posted on 18/3/05 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Splitrivet: What do you mean with ac application as alternator lamp?

I cant see any ac applications at all in a car, except for inside the alternator, before the main diods.

/Hasse

NS Dev

posted on 18/3/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hasse
Sufficient current from the charging lamp is "the sure way" to start the charging. Without this current, it may start from remaining remanens in the iron, but is not given at all, that the the charging will start.
Maybe it will also depend on how long the alternator has been "resting" since last used? Every day use could then maybe be positive to achieve charging.

/Hasse

You might be right there Hasse, the car was in daily use as a road car.

splitrivet

posted on 18/3/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
OK hasse bad choice of words, should have said current can flow either way.
But as LED's are used the same way in AC circuit thought this was the best way of explanation.
Cheers
Bob

[Edited on 18/3/05 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

clbarclay

posted on 18/3/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
As I understand it the alternator lamp either has current flowing from battery to alternator (when alternator is not working), or when the alternator is working the volatge is equal either side of the bulb, therefore ther is no potential difference across the buld and no current flows. hence the buld goes out.

As I understand it current will only flow one way through the buld, its the nature of the circuit its in.

[Edited on 18/3/05 by clbarclay]

splitrivet

posted on 18/3/05 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
The current thru the lamp can flow the other way ie when the battery voltage is lower than the alternator a duff battery lets say will show itself by as you increase revs your warning lamp gets brighter (more current flowing backwards to the battery) if the reverse happens its your alternator.

Cheers,
Bob

clbarclay

posted on 18/3/05 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
The main output from the alteranator goes to the battery + terminal?

If so then should not the alternator is increase the voltage on the battery side of the buld as well, 'equal' to the output of the wire straight to the buld?

I've driven some vehicles with pritty duff batteries and haven't noticed the bulb iluminate whalst the alterantor is working.

splitrivet

posted on 18/3/05 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest I dont know if this is the case with a self exciting alternator,in which case only the battery lead is required to supply the field voltage which is probably why NS Devs motor worked without a warning lamp either that or the diodes in the alternator were very leaky.
Cheers,
Bob

clbarclay

posted on 18/3/05 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is the attached wireing diagram for an alternator, it however is my understanding.

Is the diagram correct, over simplified or plain wrong for a typical alternator charging setup. Rescued attachment alternator wireing.JPG
Rescued attachment alternator wireing.JPG

splitrivet

posted on 18/3/05 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Found this site tells you all you need to know.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/understanding_alternators.htm
Actually is a pretty shite hot site with loads of info,got nowt to do with LED's though
Cheers,
Bob

kaymar

posted on 20/3/05 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
oh dear! as i understand it 12v from battery flows through red warning/charge bulb to "ind" wire of alternator to earth when alternator stationary, when spinning the alternator is initially excited by thie ind supply and begins to generate, at which point the battery is then charged. if battery voltage initially was 12.2 alt output zero untill operating, once alt is spinning/operating its output being 13.4v this measurement will be the same as ind equal so battery/charge light goes out. some not all alternators will self excite to charge under heavy throttle but this is notr recomended as the norm. to be honest!!!!! whats really wrong with normal bulbs?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.