Board logo

Gauges
mikeb - 21/7/08 at 11:59 AM

Even though I don't need them yet I'm on the look out for a cheap set of gauges.
Found this on ebay.
Think it's from a porshe, could be a cheap bright 6 plus temp and fuel,
Your thoughts or any other option for cheap gauges (seperates rather than donor style)?
what type of speedo and rev counter do I need if running carbs on a megajolt.
If I go for a non ford speedo what are the options for speedo cable etc?

[Edited on 21/7/08 by mikeb]

[Edited on 21/7/08 by mikeb]

coozer - 21/7/08 at 12:09 PM

I've used an Acewell on mine, has everything apart in the unit. The only other thing I have on the dash ATM is a fog light switch.

nib1980 - 21/7/08 at 12:13 PM

go electronic and use sensors.

if you stay analogue, and use cables, speeycables will make most things up you need.

oh and i intened to take my car to work at some point this week so may pop in on the way home and say hello if your about

mikeb - 21/7/08 at 12:22 PM

Just been looking at a set of gauges from a 924, sure I could get them for peanuts.
If I got electronic.

I assume the megajolt can do the whats required for the rev, how do you sort out the speedo, is there an electronic sender for the type 9 or do you put a sensor on the prop?

Will be around everynight except friday.
send me a txt on your way over as I might be walking the dog!

M

whitestu - 21/7/08 at 12:26 PM

I'll second the Acewell - I'm very pleased with mine.

The speedo sensor is basically the same as on a pushbike. i.e. a magnet and a sensor.

Mine is on the prop.

With the Acewell you also get temp, fuel, volts, trip and all the warning lights you'll need.

You probably won't get a useable tacho signal out of the MJ. Better to take a feed of the coil pack.

Stu

[Edited on 21/7/08 by whitestu]

Paul (Notts) - 21/7/08 at 02:14 PM

If you do go for the one in the picture then I have a wiring diagram for it and know a place that does the connector for the pins on the back. However it’s a little complicated to wire up.

I have used this display as I got one for £10 and wanted an old fashion look.

P.s. you will need to remove the current pyramid plastic display cover and cut a flat Perspex one for it. Not to hard.( but extra cost )

Paul Rescued attachment new 008.jpg
Rescued attachment new 008.jpg