Board logo

brake fluid warning lamp
davrus - 29/4/07 at 09:27 PM

Hi

Can anyone confirm if i need a button in the cockpit to test my brake fluid warning lamp bulb. I have a clear brake fluid bottle with a low fluid sensor that puts the light on on the dash, is that good enough for sva or do i need to fit a switch in my cockpit.

many thanks
dave

scottc - 29/4/07 at 09:31 PM

you need a warning lamp that shows low brack fluid level. Usually the same lamp that shows the handbrake is on.

Macbeast - 29/4/07 at 09:31 PM

I think they need to see that the bulb lights up. Usual way seems to be to use same bulb for handbrake and low level by connecting both handbrake and level switches in parallel.

hector - 29/4/07 at 09:32 PM

Yea you do, just had my sva this week and it had to have both-the handbrake switch was fine!

DIY Si - 29/4/07 at 09:32 PM

The handbrake normally does this so you don't need another switch, unless you've wired it to have its own.

davrus - 29/4/07 at 09:33 PM

As i said i have a light on my dash that comes on when my fluid is low, question is do i need a button on my dash to test the bulb is working as i have no handbrake light.

thank you

DavidM - 29/4/07 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by davrus
As i said i have a light on my dash that comes on when my fluid is low, question is do i need a button on my dash to test the bulb is working as i have no handbrake light.

thank you

Yes you do.

David

Mal - 29/4/07 at 09:38 PM

The easy and standard way to do it is to use the handbrake off switch as the test button. The symbol for the dash mounted light on many cars combines a pair of brake shoes with an exclamation mark.
The logic is: ignition on and handbrake applied, warning light on. Release handbrake and drive off, the warning light is off.
If the warning light comes on, after checking the handbrake is fully released, than the brake fluid is low.

Mal.

davrus - 29/4/07 at 09:39 PM

The s.v.a manual says if clear resovoir is used and a sensor inside it which puts the light on then a button is not needed in the cockpit to test the bulb. Am i reading it wrong.

graememk - 29/4/07 at 09:43 PM

must be able to test the bulb from the drivers seat, eg a test switch on the dash like my car, switch dosnt need to be marked.

or get a switch for the handbreak

davrus - 29/4/07 at 09:46 PM

Because i have been told different, read the manual now a little confused.

zxrlocost - 29/4/07 at 09:55 PM

you need to be able to confirm your brake light works from inside the car

now as already suggested the handbrake

but you dont have a handbrake switch

why dont you get one?

DavidM - 29/4/07 at 10:04 PM

My reading of the manual is that if you have a master cylinder where the level is visible against a "minimum" mark then you don't need a warning lamp for fluid level.

However, section 16.4 d (ii) states that you need a red warning lamp to warn if the system has drained due to a leak.

16.4 d (iii) states that you need a "test facility" that enables its operation to be checked from the driving position.

So you definitely need a switch.

HTH

David

davrus - 29/4/07 at 10:06 PM

Will fit one to be safe

chris_harris_ - 29/4/07 at 10:10 PM

Interesting thread this one. I have a question too. If you use a savage switch on the dash to check your fluid, how would you get it to come on if the fluid went low, and without pressing the button?

stuart_g - 29/4/07 at 10:50 PM

My understanding is this.

If you have a reservoir with a fluid level switch and a hanbrake switch then you do not need a seperate test switch as the lamp will light when the handbrake is on. However if you have a reservoir with a fluid level switch and no handbrake switch then you do need a seperate test switch as you would never know if the bulb was functioning.

Peteff - 29/4/07 at 10:50 PM

There are three wires on the Sierra fluid cap if you use it. If the float in the cap drops it earths the light same as pressing the test button in the top of the cap or the dash test switch.

aerobrick - 29/4/07 at 11:43 PM

Hi All i dont post much on this forum as i am invloved witha few others however this post has is easily solved.

To keep things simple for most drivers(as we all know some are really simple) the handbrake on/off & Low Brake fluid warning system work together so the switch on the handbrake also serves as the test button for the float switch and bulb failure moniter , so in the event of fluid loss your average numpty will see the light go on and stay on even if the handbrake is off and actually do something about it.

Just think how many would bother to push a test switch even once a month to check if a bulb still works.

As for me i am keeping it as it is cos if it can work on all cars now it can work for me

Regards
Aero

Macbeast - 30/4/07 at 01:15 AM

As already stated in posts 2 and 3

But would the average numpty notice that the handbrake / level warning lamp wasn't coming on at startup, and would the average numpty do anything about it ?

Peteff - 30/4/07 at 09:22 AM

Cap wires as on mine. Use an ignition controlled live for the lamp.

[Edited on 30/4/07 by Peteff] Rescued attachment brake cap wiring.jpg
Rescued attachment brake cap wiring.jpg

iank - 30/4/07 at 10:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by aerobrick
Hi All i dont post much on this forum as i am invloved witha few others however this post has is easily solved.

To keep things simple for most drivers(as we all know some are really simple) the handbrake on/off & Low Brake fluid warning system work together so the switch on the handbrake also serves as the test button for the float switch and bulb failure moniter , so in the event of fluid loss your average numpty will see the light go on and stay on even if the handbrake is off and actually do something about it.

Just think how many would bother to push a test switch even once a month to check if a bulb still works.

As for me i am keeping it as it is cos if it can work on all cars now it can work for me

Regards
Aero

The mini had a test switch on the dash, and yes most people press it once, when they first buy the car to see what it does

The wording in the SVA manual is quite clear 16.4.4c