Board logo

sunken battery tray
02GF74 - 13/2/07 at 01:43 PM

if all goes well, should get an ickle battery.

now being as small as it is, I've been toying with the idea of cutting a hole in the panel that is above the gearbox and making a tray so that the battery can sit lower down, instead of on tap as the old one does.

so good (lower CofG, neater, leaves more space above) or bad (extra weight of tray) idea?

[Edited on 13/2/07 by 02GF74]

miegru - 13/2/07 at 01:51 PM

I've put the batery in the front of the passenger footwell. Can't go lower and it helped distributing corner weights more evenly.

Made a alu footsupport in front of the battery. My girlfriend actually prefers this because now she can steady her feet.

Just an idea.

Rgrds,

Mies.

worX - 13/2/07 at 01:53 PM

mine is going just in front of the passenger footwell, although the photo doesn't really show it that well, here it is...
It would prob make more sense on my website if you wanna have a quick look...

02GF74 - 13/2/07 at 01:56 PM

^^^ I bet you boys are pintos!

yeah, I did consider that but the exhaust will be a couple of cm away - much too close - plus I'd need to redo the routing of the fat cables.

ned - 13/2/07 at 02:00 PM

I've done exactly what you describe:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_1968b.jpg
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_1967b.jpg
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/IMG_2031b.jpg

scutter - 13/2/07 at 02:03 PM

lowered battery
lowered battery

Pre sva 09
Pre sva 09

Done this, I'm now putting the battery on the floor as the well used to fill up with water!!!!.

ATB Dan.

02GF74 - 13/2/07 at 02:06 PM

cheers for that Ned, just what I had in mind but using strips instead of a solid tray.

I reckon I can drop 130 mm, battery being 180 mm in height - presumably the top of the gearbox limited the amount you could sink yours?

vvvvv insteereting what scutter has done - the intrudes into the passenger foot well?

(I am thinking of keep it central to leave that space for a heatere, should I ever fit one)

ned - 13/2/07 at 02:18 PM

don't know the measurements, just made it to fit but the clearance is minimal on mine as the battery is quite tall and I wanted the weight as low as possible.

miegru - 13/2/07 at 02:42 PM

No pinto; an audi actually with the exhaust at its closest point is about 5 cm away from the aluplate between engine bay and passenger footwell. Put some heat reflective stuff on that alu and so far no issue.

I checked the temperature after a 1 hour trafficjam this summer (in Italy, 34 celcius); heat no problem.

Goodluck with your solution!

worX - 13/2/07 at 03:13 PM

not pinto with me either! as my "building:" suggests - a Blade engined worX...
hence the bike battery aswell...
as low down and far to left as I could get it.
made the tray out of one piece of Ali even to save weight on rivets etc!!!

mark chandler - 13/2/07 at 09:11 PM

Put mine in front of the engine with rectifier, short leads and as low as you can get.

[Edited on 13/2/07 by mark chandler] Rescued attachment battery.JPG
Rescued attachment battery.JPG