Board logo

Push button start wiring
the_fbi - 19/12/06 at 10:52 AM

This has been raised a few times, but a search didn't turn up any answers to the following....

I believe my wiring uses the standard Blade starter relay so I presume I can use a normal non heavy duty starter button to switch the starter relay?

Given that I don't want idiotic passengers pressing the button at will and screwing up the starter, I'm going to take the feed for the button (hence also feed for the relay) from the neutral light. So as soon as the car's in gear the button no longer works.

An alternative would be the handbrake as thats easier to put on than neutral will be to find, when I stall it.

Ideally I'd like it wired to then when its running the switch no longer works, but the only way I can think of doing that is to use the low oil pressure light, but I'm thinking it may get enough pressure when cranking to put the light out which would stop it cranking possibly before starting.

Any ideas?

ta
Chris

zxrlocost - 19/12/06 at 11:10 AM

chris it sounds very complicated for just an engine start switch

why should your passengers mess?

02GF74 - 19/12/06 at 11:20 AM

this has come up before;

1. use alternator lamp.
2, smack the passenger in the face how often do you envissage this happening anyway?

not worth the complication IMO.

zzr1100rick2 - 19/12/06 at 11:27 AM

i think you could wire the starter relay earth via the hand brake so relay only works when hand brake is on if you want to stop people pressing starter button or you could use a guarded button

dave-69isit - 19/12/06 at 11:53 AM

would need another switch on hand brake

02GF74 - 19/12/06 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zzr1100rick2
i think you could wire the starter relay earth via the hand brake so relay only works when hand brake is on if you want to stop people pressing starter button or you could use a guarded button

that reduces the chances but not fail safe like the alternator method.

e.g. you start the engine, about to release the handbrake and yer passenger twats the button .... or worse still, you stall at a busy crossroads with a double decker bearing down on you, do you really wnat to be pulling the handbrake on, pressing starter, pulling it off again?????

Confused but excited. - 19/12/06 at 12:24 PM

Why not just put the 'start' button to the right of the steering wheel?

the_fbi - 19/12/06 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
1. use alternator lamp.

Need to check the wiring diagram, not 100% sure there is one.

Thanks!

russbost - 19/12/06 at 01:21 PM

Given how easy it can be to stall bec's I wouldn't make the restart procedure too involved, as already said, just put the button to the right of the steering wheel.

the_fbi - 19/12/06 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
As already said, just put the button to the right of the steering wheel.

Its a bit late for that now.....

tks - 19/12/06 at 01:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the_fbi
quote:

How can you be that way??

its for safety of you and your drivers..

and a hole and a switch and some soldering can be worth it!

Tks

gingerprince - 19/12/06 at 03:48 PM

quote:
Given that I don't want idiotic passengers pressing the button at will and screwing up the starter

The simple answer is, the first time they press it, you stop the car, slap them silly, kick them out and let them walk home! If I take someone out in my car I expect them to behave appropriately.

Confused but excited. - 19/12/06 at 06:36 PM

quote:
quote:

No it's not. Move the start button to the R/H side and tidy up the dash by fitting a 'Do not touch the start button' warning light in the original hole.
Job done!

matty_64 - 19/12/06 at 08:13 PM

found this on the web ages ago.hope it helps Rescued attachment lastscan.jpg
Rescued attachment lastscan.jpg

matty_64 - 19/12/06 at 08:14 PM

oops sorry about the image size.bit of a numpty with computers

Hellfire - 19/12/06 at 09:44 PM

The blade engine already has a starter button... substitute the other switch for that. IFAIK pressing the starter button on a bike when it's running has no effect!

Steve

the_fbi - 19/12/06 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
The blade engine already has a starter button... substitute the other switch for that. IFAIK pressing the starter button on a bike when it's running has no effect!

Steve

It may have had one at one time, it didn't after kcw finished with it.

I'll check out the diagrams but I didn't see one earlier....

zetec7 - 19/12/06 at 09:53 PM

Hang a ball pein hammer from the dashboard. When they ask (and they will), tell them it's used to give a light rap to the knuckles of anyone who touches anything in the car! They should keep a respectful distance from the switches then...

Confused but excited. - 19/12/06 at 10:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty_64
oops sorry about the image size.bit of a numpty with computers

And electrics!
A dash mounting push button switch, that will take starter motor current, must be a thing to behold.
Are they illuminated by a mercury arc discharge lamp?
Anybody know where they are knocking down any old power stations?

tks - 21/12/06 at 12:09 PM

yeahhhh

i thought it was for CEC then it would be just enough

providing to startermotor means to solenoid..

what i cant figureout is what all those lines means..

also the sens of the diode is strange with the bulb over there....

sow i deffo won´´t work in my case.

Tks

Ok...

From the neutral switch put in a diode with the band in the direction of the switch. we have now created a isolated neutral side hook this up to the neg side of the relaiscoil.

Hook 12volts up to the "switch pin" on the relay
on the other switch pin you connect the starter relay wire. Now feed you starter button with 12volts pas them to the relay
and only in neutral the relay will work.

infact rereading this setup the diode could be eliminated.

easy.. but!!!!

as you prob now a bike gearbox when stalled in 1nd or 3thr likes moveing a bit to be able to search for Neutral sow i deffo say that you put in a clutch switch wich while pressed gives you again neutral at the side of the relay.
to start while in gear...

[Edited on 21/12/06 by tks]