Board logo

handbrake warning light
zxrlocost - 21/4/06 at 08:58 AM

Im just looking at the switch on my handbrake. its got the push in switch and a brass coloured strip which goes from one side with a screw over the push in switch to the other side which has also got a little screw

thats it am I missing something because no matter what I do ie hold the wire on one of the screws push the switch in and out etc

my test light stays on

I didnt take the handbrake from the car so dont know how its originally connected

thanks chris

Peter M - 21/4/06 at 09:19 AM

Does the light stay on with wire disconnected if it does then the brake fluid level may be low as it doubles up as h/brake ,low brake fluid light.
If it goes out when disconected from handbrake then the fault lies around h/brake switch.

zxrlocost - 21/4/06 at 09:20 AM

no sorry mate Im just using a test bulb on the handbrake switch at the mo

havent got that far yet

Peter M - 21/4/06 at 09:40 AM

Normally h/brake switches work on earthing the warning light.Wire goes to switch via terminal/screw the switch is then normally earthed via mounting screw.So with h/brake on the switched is earthed to chassis,with h/brake off the switch should be open circuit.If light is on with h/brake on/off then either the switch is faulty or you have wired the the switch wrong.Try with switch off the h/brake and see if with your test lamp if you can by operating switch for the light to go on/off.

zxrlocost - 21/4/06 at 09:51 AM

think the switch must be missing something as theres no break in the whole thing ie its a metal strip which goes round the switch and is held on by the two screws

so wherever you touch theres its a permanent connection I think

ta chris

BKLOCO - 21/4/06 at 10:49 AM

There should be a male spade connector above the brass strip that you are describing.
It sounds as if this has been broken off.
A common occurance.
New switch or a dashboard switch is the answer. Handbrake switch is not a requirement but it is used as the brake fluid warning lamp test switch which is an SVA requirement.
a dash mounted switch will do as an alternative but the hand brake switches are available as a spare part.

zxrlocost - 21/4/06 at 10:56 AM

I have the savage warning light its not a switch though

so dont i need the handbrake one to work for the sva

Dusty - 21/4/06 at 10:58 AM

sierra switch pic. You need a method of testing the low fluid warning light from the driving seat. A 'handbrake' switch does this and is not needed in its own right. You could use a dash mounted switch.

[Edited on 21/4/06 by Dusty] Rescued attachment hbs.jpg
Rescued attachment hbs.jpg

zxrlocost - 21/4/06 at 11:03 AM

great pic mate thanks mine is missing the spade connector part

ta chris