Board logo

Chassis Earth Points
Ferrino - 18/3/06 at 10:13 PM

Is it OK to have multiple earthing points on the chassis (ie. using the chassis tubes to carry current back to the battery)? I hear of so many electrical gremlins linked to poor earthing.

I was thinking of having 3 points - one at the front for headlights+fan, one under the dash for instruments, and one at the back for fuel pump + lights.

Or do some people do without chassis earthing altogether and run cables all the way to the battery?

bigrich - 18/3/06 at 10:19 PM

i have an earth point in every corner and one behind the dash plus the battery -ve earthed to the chassis. no problems yet,used m6 nutserts for earth points with bolts and ring terminals.

smart51 - 18/3/06 at 10:19 PM

I have an earth point at the back for rear lights and fuel level sensor. It is quite common. No problems yet.

There is so little extra effort in fitting a bit of wire into the loom that I wonder why looms are made without them. The hassel of drilling and tapping a hole in the rear of the chassis is easily outweighed by running a 2 metre length of wire back to the battery.

omega 24 v6 - 18/3/06 at 10:40 PM

You could always have an insulated return system where all earths come back to the battery. When I say all i mean all the main one/s which are joine to many minor ones with heatshrink terminals and sleeving.

nitram38 - 18/3/06 at 10:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I have an earth point at the back for rear lights and fuel level sensor. It is quite common. No problems yet.

There is so little extra effort in fitting a bit of wire into the loom that I wonder why looms are made without them. The hassel of drilling and tapping a hole in the rear of the chassis is easily outweighed by running a 2 metre length of wire back to the battery.

You would have to double the amount of wires or use a very large single cable. It is simplier to use the chassis.

k33ts - 18/3/06 at 11:59 PM

i agree with nitram the chassis is the biggest conducter why not use it, plus if you run seperate earths youve got twice the chance of getting a fault and twice the headache trying to find it.

weld a bolt m6 to chassis in the points you mentioned and one near the battery for the earth neg supply.

nitram have you got your cat 2 yet?
let us know when you have and ill tell you what and where.

nitram38 - 19/3/06 at 12:15 AM

K33ts, I sent you a u2u.
Can you email me the details before I buy?
It will probably be a Toad!

wilkingj - 19/3/06 at 09:06 AM

I would use at least an M8 bolt for the Main Battery to Chassis connection.. Remember there is 200-300 Amps flowing when starting. IMHO M6 isnt enough. ie you want a good sized ring tag suitable for the large current flow (worst case).

I welded a bit of 3mm Angle Iron to the chassis with a M8 hole in it. Hmmm That might have even been a M10

Earth Lug (My Welding!!!)
Earth Lug (My Welding!!!)

britishtrident - 19/3/06 at 09:18 AM

Through the chassis is the normal way

Earth points at both front corners.
Main earth point in engine bay -- for engine. battery and ECU earth -- use a tag strip with two holes -- one for the main heavy duty connections the other for the ignition.
Earth point under scuttle for instruments.
Earth points at both rear corners.

[Edited on 19/3/06 by britishtrident]

smart51 - 19/3/06 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38

You would have to double the amount of wires or use a very large single cable. It is simplier to use the chassis.

You will only have to use 1 wire for the earth. The one wire won'y ahve to be too thick. IT has to carry the current of all your rear lights at once. About 5A? A bit more to be on the safe side. No problem.

Ferrino - 20/3/06 at 12:12 PM

Thanks guys! I will stick to the original plan of using chassis earthing points at front, rear and under dash.