Board logo

main beam / dipped on together?
jambojeef - 12/3/06 at 06:37 PM

Hi,

Am just connecting the honda loom to my sierra switches and cant seem to get a combination where the main beam filament in the bulb is only on - without the dipped filament being on too!

So the question is:

a) does it matter

and

b) if it does, any ideas where to look for info?

Cheers

Geoff

RazMan - 12/3/06 at 07:05 PM

With separate main & dip headlamps it is common to have both switched to come on for main beam. If you have single headlamps you will likely overheat the bulb and reflector so you will have to separate then electrically.

jambojeef - 12/3/06 at 07:25 PM

Ah right yeah,

Ive got combined main / dipped bulbs and wondered whether they might overheat...

Geoff

David Jenkins - 12/3/06 at 07:48 PM

Wot he said... with single bulbs the filaments are used separately. The exception is for flashing (oooerr) where both come on, but that's usually only for a second or two, so it doesn't matter.

David

Guinness - 12/3/06 at 08:17 PM

Geoff

I had the same thing when splicing the Kwak loom into the Ford switch gear. Ended up using a couple of relays, found in the fuse box from my Sierra, to switch the power to one fillament off when the other came on.

Not good at drawing electrical diagrams, but you know what I mean? I hope!

Mike

Dusty - 12/3/06 at 09:02 PM

Another possibility is that you have the wires crossed. The two filiaments are in a row with the earth in the middle and main power one end and dipped power the other. If you connect the earth to one end you get twin filiaments on for one switch position and one on for the other switch position. Try swopping the connections around. Rescued attachment LAMP.jpg
Rescued attachment LAMP.jpg