Board logo

Blue flash Part 2
ditchlewis - 15/6/05 at 03:20 PM

It was tuesday night last night and a night to work on the car.

Well last night at the end of the evening my son turned to me with a smile on his face and said “dad, look at it this way, things cannot get any worse.” True!

I removed the fan supply and fired up the electrics again, and again the fuse blew. So it was not that (but a very good heads up about how it should be powered. Thanks) so I suppose I will have to check each circuit. I should mention that I am powering the car up with out the body panels and lights in place. I have isolated each of the ends but do not appear to have any full connections/ circuits on this fuse. All holes are grommited.

I have a fuel gauge that reads full when empty and empty when it is full.
A pressure gauge that is at the max when not connected to the sender
And a rev counter that reads 3000 when the engine is off.

I have come to the conclusion that the loom is not compatible with the Telemetrix gauges I bought.

The rev counter was reduced to 1000rpm by adjusting the potentiometer; to reduce it still further do I need some form of resistor? (It is connected to the –ve side of the coil as per the instructions).

The Vikki Green loom has 2 cables for the fuel sender, which I cannot reconcile with the very vague Telemetrix wiring diagramme, this is the same for the pressure gauge.

On the plus side I managed to rewire the dashboard lighting so that all the gauges light up.

I will keep testing and checking each and every connection, but if people have any ideas I would be very pleased to hear them.

Ditch Lewis

Scotty - 15/6/05 at 03:36 PM

its not something really silly, like pos /neg reversed ???
anyway what do i know about car electrics

tks - 15/6/05 at 03:51 PM

how much fuses do you have??

do you use an fusebox??

when making an car instalaltion is it the best idea to buy at least one fuse box..

there you whire thru one socket the rest of the fuses..

(see pic)

in that way you have an main fuse and also slave ones for ever circuit one....

if you do this it will devide your work by the many fuses you have used.. if not do it..

just hook one up...

and think about thigs like lights together
engine apart
fans apart
etc.

The more fuses you will use the less work you will have..

If you have an fusebox.. is it maybe mounted to ground?? in that way that the cable is touching the mounting etc..??

do you have an meter??

try disconnect the complete circuit from the fuse holder..disconnect fuse box feed

and search for continuity between the feed and chasis....

did it go away? its in the circuit..

it didn't?? its in the fusebox..

altough its is a audioable sound what the meter makes..

it start making this when the ohms are lower then 100 i guess.

Sow don't think your fuel sender is faulty..

Also first resolve the fuse problem then start looking at the rest...

Tks

[Edited on 15/6/05 by tks] Rescued attachment naamloos.JPG
Rescued attachment naamloos.JPG

ditchlewis - 15/6/05 at 04:08 PM

i bought the vikky green loom thinking that it would be easier and quicker than making my own. the problem with the loom is that it is fully wrapped in insulation so tracing individual cables in nigh on impossible. if i had made it my self i could have checked it prior to installation.

it is proberbly something very obvious and stupid. but then again i know nothing about electrics and this is a very steep learning curve for me.

Ditch

ned - 15/6/05 at 04:13 PM

tried contacting the supplier of said loom?

Danozeman - 15/6/05 at 04:34 PM

have a word with the loom supplier as ned said. if its all there labelled surely its either something simple or the looms dodgey?

A + to a - somewhere maybe?

theconrodkid - 15/6/05 at 04:50 PM

where does the alternator output go?it shouldnt go through a fuse but if it does could be your prob,un-plug it and see

tks - 15/6/05 at 05:46 PM

but then it should be an 100amps one..

like in some hyundai coupe's

yes i know hyundai.

Tks

ditchlewis - 15/6/05 at 06:24 PM

the altrnator cable attaches to the startermotor/ battery.

the wiring diagramme appears simple.

it is only the one fuse that blows, the rest seem to be ok. so i am thinking that it is proberbly that i have made a stupid and simple mistake.

looking at the wiring diagramme again this evening i have noted that i have not connected a couple of wires may be they have shorted. if not and if i am reading the coding correct (ie purple cables and brown cables are also connected to purple and white, brown and white) then i only have a limited number if circuites to check. one of which is the cables i have not connected.

Ditch

ReMan - 16/6/05 at 12:11 AM

If you measure th resistance of the use terminal to earth, the one that blows that is, then if it is very close to 0 Ohms, you have a short to earth, make sure all your switches are set to off at this point, and then trace the wiring to each load it supplies,, split them if thre is more than one wire and check them individually
HTH
Col