Board logo

battery tray or box
wheelsinsteadofhooves - 4/3/05 at 10:41 AM

hi all,
is an open battery tray sufficint for a 7?, or am i better of with motorsport battery box. just wondering about water/dirt, but thinking about it, batteries are usualy open in road cars. this seems a different beast however!
any tips?
thanks in advance and arrears

DaveFJ - 4/3/05 at 11:03 AM

Almost all 7s I have seen, have the battery open.

JoelP - 4/3/05 at 11:10 AM

mines in the passanger footwell, but open.

the sva man will want to see it securely held inplace, all the wires secured and insulated and no obvious hazards. Beyond that he's probably not too bothered!

open would be fine imho.

wheelsinsteadofhooves - 4/3/05 at 11:12 AM

cheers chaps, another item for the halfords shopping list!

Avoneer - 4/3/05 at 12:06 PM

Just make sure the +VE has a cover on it and the battery is securely fixed down in all planes - SVA guy gave mine a right tug!
Pat...

scutter - 4/3/05 at 12:30 PM

I made mine out of a piece of scrap ali, kinda hides it whilst keeping it out of the footwells.
lowered battery
lowered battery

ATB Dan.

britishtrident - 4/3/05 at 02:24 PM

Easy way is to use a battery tray from a production car that clamps the battery by the base mine came from a Rover 820 and has a nice plastic tray to catch acid drips.

The battery should be exposed to airflow both to get rid of hydrogen gas and cool it ;-). Also you want to keep the +ve connector well clear of the bodywork in addition to it having an insulated cover.

RoadkillUK - 4/3/05 at 08:03 PM

Make your own out of alli.

clbarclay - 4/3/05 at 09:07 PM

Road kill what did you use to keep the battery down or is it just droped in?

Mark Allanson - 4/3/05 at 09:55 PM

I made a box out of 25x25x3mm angle and bonded rubber to be base with screen bond in case of spillage. I made a lower clamp out of 16g stainless to clamp the battery for neatness Rescued attachment Battery secure.JPG
Rescued attachment Battery secure.JPG