Board logo

MK Busa: Gear Indicator Installation Help Please
yellowcab - 25/4/12 at 05:48 PM

I've bought a gear indicator for my Hayabusa MK Indy, and wanted some advice on how to wire it up... many things I tend to be able to work out after a while... but was hoping to lean on some forum veterans for some help and advice from those that have already done it...

So here are the wires coming from the unit itself...

The (brief) instruction state:
"A small magnet mounted on the gear shift lever moves past the upshift and downshift sensor as the shift occurs. The shift signals are then sent to the display, where the current gear number is shown"

OK, I get that... I have a small magnet which I will put on the gearstick itself - no problem, but:

1. Where would you mount the sensors? as the gear stick movement is so minimal, it'll never "pass" the sensors as such

2. I push up for 1st, then back half a pull for neutral - so how will this pick up that movement? surely it'll just think I've just pulled back to 2nd gear, when I haven't?

The installation guide also states:
Black cable is for -
Red cable is for +
White cable is for neutral
Yellow cable is for the first sensor cable 1
Green cable is for the 2nd sensor cable 1
Blue is for the other cables of sensor 1 and sensor 2 together

Does my Hayabusa wiring loom has a neutral feed cable? if so - any ideas of how I go about tracing it? (as i'd like to fit a neutral light swell)

If this appears to be very straight forward, then I apologise, but I can't figure out how the stick can 'pass' the sensors, when the movement from the gearstick is literally around 25mm in total

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or previous experiences shared...

Olz

Proby - 26/4/12 at 07:34 AM

Olz,

I've fitted one of these to my F27 blade, but as for fitting one to your car, without seeing it and having a look it's hard to work out where to put the reed switches. As for the neutral light/wiring, there must be somewhere you can pick it up from, but I'm unfamiliar with the busa loom/wiring.

Ive mounted my switches under the centre tunnel at the base of the stick shift, and made a custom Ali bracket so I could adjust the switches, but they may be impossible depending on your setup. I'll take some pics later to show you what I've done. Need to go and do a site visit now, I'll do it when I get back!

Chris

INDY BIRD - 26/4/12 at 07:50 AM

Would you not put the sensors near the rod that connects to the gear stick? Or is it a cable operation? In the centre tunnel,

You will get more movement then , prob he'd a small bracket for them to mount on?

Not sure on buss wiring sorry,

yellowcab - 26/4/12 at 12:04 PM

Hey thanks for the replies guys... Any photos of your setups would be great, just to see how you've sorted yours out.

I shall do some research on the Busa loom, to see if I can trace the neutral light... With me not being very electriciany, am I thinking I just get a multimeter and it will show 12v when I'm in neutral? LOL

wylliezx9r - 26/4/12 at 12:49 PM

The neutral pick up wire normally comes from a switch near the gear selector you may be able to trace it back, might be different on a Busa but worth a look. Normally when neutral is selected the switch will earthed.

HTH Dan

[Edited on 26/4/12 by wylliezx9r]

yellowcab - 27/4/12 at 08:43 AM

thanks guys (again)

what it stops raining (lol) i shall get out there and have a good mooch around... does anyone have any photos of their sensors/ magnet setup?

Proby - 3/5/12 at 02:38 PM

Right,

Finally got around to finding a few pics I took of the gear indicator install. The way I did it was very simple setting it up on the base of the main shift linkage, but I could get away with it due to the top of the transmission tunnel being arched quite high, and it all hides away underneath (just!). I can also find some pictures of my Westfield install, I'll add them on later.
Some people fit the switches on the 'foot peg' end (as you would on a bike), when installing on my Westfield I fitted them along the horizontal linkage in the tunnel.

GI1
GI1

GI2
GI2

GI4
GI4

GI5
GI5

Chris

A couple from the Westfield setup (I apologise on how badly these are out of focus!!) This setup used small microswitches, rather than reed switches.

Description
Description

WestieGI2
WestieGI2

[Edited on 3/5/12 by Proby]

yellowcab - 3/5/12 at 07:19 PM

Ahhh what a gentleman... thank you very much - gives me a much better indication (see what I did there) of how to mount the sensors...

I presume you're happy to rely on the small magnet to stay put on the gear lever itself? or have you stuck it on somehow...

Now all I need to do is use Colins knowledge to trace this elusive Neutral gear feed lol

Thank you Chris!