Board logo

have i missed anything?
blakep82 - 23/2/12 at 02:21 AM

thanks again to Andy cutting these plates for me, i've got the LED warning lamp panels done

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

bit of a last stage accident as usual... all painted the other night, today i wanted to stick the LEDs in, but the paint was still a bit sticky, so i put them all on the radiator. the battery and oil pressure wouldn't sit on the radiator, so i put them on the main one, and they then all stuck together and the stickers came off as the glue was heated... not impressed, but i think it recovered ok.

only one i know isn't there is the fog light warning, but that will go next to the switch

what do you reckon?
i'll put up a photo of them in the dash when i've got round to cutting the holes in it.

you can't really see the LEDs in there lol
fuel gauge is red, amber, green and blue, rev gauge is blue, green, green, amber, and red
others are all as you'd expect

philw - 23/2/12 at 08:14 AM

Water temp, if you want one?

[Edited on [1329984896R1=082929p: by philw]

roadrunner - 23/2/12 at 10:11 AM

I'm always too keen to get things finished and end up making daft mistakes.
Looking good though.

minitici - 23/2/12 at 11:50 AM

Are the actual symbols illuminated?

I believe that the brake warning symbol has to be illuminated so that it can be seen and identified in darkness.
Think that this is the only symbol which needs direct illumination.

blakep82 - 23/2/12 at 12:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by minitici

I believe that the brake warning symbol has to be illuminated so that it can be seen and identified in darkness.

i thought that was the case from what people said on here, but i can't find it saying that in the manual (i had no way of marking the LED anyway)

all i can find is, under hydraulic and vacuum systems:
"a red warning lamp (see figure 1) must be capable of illuminating when the reservoir fluid falls to the minimum level"

and
"Where a warning lamp is provided as the only means of checking the fluid level without opening the reservoir, it must be secure, operational, visible during daylight and darkness from the driving position, and fitted with a “test facility” that enables its operation to be checked from the driving position without opening the reservoir."

as for visible in the darkness, well, the LED lights up... its visible...

and under identification of controls:
"Where provided Identification of Controls, Tell-tales and Indicators;
Must be clear so not to cause confusion.
Must be on or as close to the controls, tell-tales and indicators as possible as not to cause confusion.
Must stand out clearly from the background."

water temp and oil pressure, i've got gauges, and later i'd be looking to buy a kit i saw, its a tri-colour LED, blue, gree, and red, can be used for temperatures, oil pressure etc, will get that for the oil and water to put next to the gauge using only the blue and red LED

loggyboy - 23/2/12 at 01:14 PM

quote:

I think that applies to this:
On a full power hydraulic braking system a warning device must be fitted, operative, and visible or audible to the driver, including in darkness.

Power Braking
A system that requires the use of stored energy to operate.

[Edited on 23/2/12 by loggyboy]

sprouts-car - 23/2/12 at 01:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

I think that applies to this:
On a full power hydraulic braking system a warning device must be fitted, operative, and visible or audible to the driver, including in darkness.

Power Braking

[Edited on 23/2/12 by loggyboy]

So if you didn't have assisted braking then you wouldn't need it to be visible in the dark?

loggyboy - 23/2/12 at 02:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
So if you didn't have assisted braking then you wouldn't need it to be visible in the dark?

its difficult to interpret their meaning of stored power, I dont think they mean vacuum 'assistance' i think they mean something more 'intergral' as I cant see what part of a vacuum assistance could be linked to a warning system.
And reading it again, it doesnt say the symbol needs to be iluminated, just the warning light, so not much diffrence to a low fluid level/low pressure level warning light.

Peteff - 23/2/12 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Power Braking

I think that would be more like an articulated lorry air brake system where the air holds the brake off and if the air fails the brakes springs put the brakes on, springs being the stored energy.

blakep82 - 23/2/12 at 06:32 PM

so what does everyone think? ok or not the way it is?
I'm sure its alright... if not then i'd find out at the test. not expecting a first time pass anyhow.
if it doesn't pass theres a big space underneth where i'm mounting these. i'm intending on putting a hazard switch there, can always put the old nasty cheap warning lamp there too if i had to, which would then come out later