Board logo

alternator adjusters
blakep82 - 12/2/10 at 02:01 PM

would i need something like the turnbuckle in this one

or would the slidey arrangement where you pull it back and tighten be fine?

the belt only drives the alternator on my car, so no atomatic tensioners etc, just 2 pulleys and a belt

could anyone make me alloy tunbuckle thingy for me? left and right hand threads, for rod ends, not sure of the length yet. i can do the other style easy enough. just wondering whats best first

[Edited on 12/2/10 by blakep82]

britishtrident - 12/2/10 at 02:05 PM

Slotted bracket off a Pinto or CVH should be fine but if you want a turn buckle look at the McGill Motorsports shop on EBay.

cd.thomson - 12/2/10 at 02:08 PM

lol you should see how basic mine is, I've just fitted a right angled bracket to the bottom right inlet manifold stud!

andrew-theasby - 12/2/10 at 02:09 PM

i just used 2 rose joints from mcgill Rescued attachment alternator mount.jpg
Rescued attachment alternator mount.jpg

irvined - 12/2/10 at 02:10 PM

Slidey bracket will be fine, but turnbuckles do look nice

I drove all the way down through morocco without any supporting bracket due to a snapped bolt, didn't have any problem with the alternator coming loose, so it doesn't need to be anything all that substantial.

blakep82 - 12/2/10 at 02:13 PM

slidey bracket it is then
mcgills turnbuckles are all too long. i looked at 2 female rod ends with 8mm threaded bar, but difficult to adjust properly.
slidey bar can just be made easy enough. wasn't sure how easy it would be to get the right tension in the belt though

MikeR - 12/2/10 at 02:15 PM

[sob] [sob] my poor alternator!

andrew-theasby - 12/2/10 at 02:17 PM

Mines 1 male, 1 female, very short but only just enough adjustment. A solid bracket will be fine though

blakep82 - 12/2/10 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
Mines 1 male, 1 female, very short but only just enough adjustment. A solid bracket will be fine though

oh yeah, i see that now
you still have to pull the alternator by hand before it all fits together though, in which case, slidey bar might be easier

02GF74 - 12/2/10 at 02:41 PM

slotted metal strip will work fine.

if you wantto get fancy, but not to trunbuckle prices, then a couple of bolts and one of these:

(studding connector) lock nut and jobby done.

[Edited on 12/2/10 by 02GF74]

Slater - 12/2/10 at 03:15 PM

you can get various sized turnbuckles from most chandlery stores

blakep82 - 12/2/10 at 03:42 PM

just drew this up

Description
Description

set my alternator to where it needs to be (i think) to clear carbs and steering, and the distance between holes is 16cm, so needs to be quite long really. the curve out the bottom is to clear the alternator

Daddylonglegs - 12/2/10 at 03:52 PM

God we're an inventive lot

cd.thomson - 12/2/10 at 03:56 PM

thats the same as mine but theres a right angle just before the left hand hole so that it can be mounted to the inlet manifold stud

blakep82 - 12/2/10 at 04:04 PM

i'm going to use the bolts originally used, you can see in this photo, there's a bolt sticking out below the black rubber hose, it's going on there

jacko - 12/2/10 at 07:13 PM

Ship's chandler's where you want to be they have all sorts of fancy ajusters

Bigheppy - 12/2/10 at 07:21 PM

Have a look at a citroen saxo adjuster, it has a bolt to adjust it then locked in place with a nut.