Board logo

Fog light legalities
r1_pete - 14/2/09 at 01:55 PM

What is the regulation regarding fog lights? I seem to remember that from a particular date vehicled should only be fitted with one on the right? can anyone clarify for me please.
Cheers.
Pete.

omega0684 - 14/2/09 at 03:33 PM

i have only fitted one to my car on the offside of the rear boot tub, the face of the light MUST BE VERTICAL!

blakep82 - 14/2/09 at 03:38 PM

i think you can still have one on each side can't you? if you've only got one, then it must not be on the left, so anywhere between centre and the right is ok.

matt_claydon - 14/2/09 at 05:42 PM

You can have one or two. If only one then it has to be in the centre or to the right (for RHD car). There is also a minimum separation from the brake light and the lens must be vertical.

bigrich - 14/2/09 at 07:58 PM

Before 01/04/1980 no requirement for a rear fog
Used after this date fog lamp required fitted from the centre line to the O/S of the vehicle.
Must be vertical for SVA but no requirement for MOT to be Vertical

Ninehigh - 15/2/09 at 02:48 AM

What's the minimum separation? Most cars I've seen have the foglight on the same cluster so it can't be more than a few cm

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 15/2/09 at 10:28 AM

the only requirement is that the lens is verticle - sure there is a minimum height from floor too - it doesnt matter about left and right either - if it did why does the nissan note have it center? yet the qashqai on the right for right hand drive on the left for left hand drive? i would keep 4 inches minimum distance between brake light and fog..

davidinhull - 15/2/09 at 04:47 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=98693&page=&contribmessage=none

does this link take you to a previous thread? if it does I think I got all my answers on there - I was interested in MOT legalities and not SVA which I discovered to be very different

mad-butcher - 15/2/09 at 06:08 PM

piccy Rescued attachment Lighting-Back.jpg
Rescued attachment Lighting-Back.jpg

Ninehigh - 15/2/09 at 09:16 PM

There's no way the minimum separation is 100mm, the fog light on my car touches the brake lights.

davidinhull - 16/2/09 at 09:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
There's no way the minimum separation is 100mm, the fog light on my car touches the brake lights.

that could well be the diference between SVA and MOT rules?

Ninehigh - 16/2/09 at 03:34 PM

Possibly, but then why have those differences? I mean you wouldn't be able to use a Mondeo light cluster because it's one set of rules for one, one for another

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 17/2/09 at 12:47 AM

thats because there are different rules

normal road cars go through type approval and that changes every so often - they update it to suit the current way of thinking at the time..