Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pump for blackbird tb's on vauxhall
andrew-theasby

posted on 4/6/08 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pump for blackbird tb's on vauxhall

Hi, can anyone running blackbird throttle bodies (not carbs) on acar engine please advise me on what fuel pump they have used? Im using a 2.0 xe engine and was planning to buy the original bike pump, until i read a thread saying it might struggle to pump right from the back of the car rather than straight down like in a bike. I like the idea of it being inside the tank for neatness, but would a car one be better? Some are in the tank, some are external, and would i need a regulator and a swirl pot. Just on with making my tank at the mo, so anythings possible at this stage. Thanks
andrew-theasby

posted on 5/6/08 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Would a facet red top (i have one)be ok to fill a swirl pot, or would it need pressure regulating to stop it pumping all the time through the return. The low pressure pump wouldnt have to have a very high flow rate would it? as the return line from the TB's would also keep the swirl pot full too wouldnt it? Would this system work:- Rescued attachment fuel pumps.JPG
Rescued attachment fuel pumps.JPG

rusty nuts

posted on 6/6/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thats more or less how my set up is and that seems to work OK . Might be better to fit the return straight to the tank to prevent the fuel "overheating"?
andrew-theasby

posted on 7/6/08 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
"Might be better to fit the return straight to the tank to prevent the fuel "overheating"?"

Good idea but wouldnt the injection pump just drain the swirl pot quicker than the low pressure pump can feed it? And the swirl pot would still need a return wouldnt it so it didnt airlock, or pressurise?

rusty nuts

posted on 7/6/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was converted over a year ago to injection,haven't had any problems with fuel supply
Steve Lovelock

posted on 8/6/08 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I am running GSXR 1000 TBs on an XE and have the standard car (ie Vauxhall Astra) fuel pump. I will probably get told off for this but I am just using a baffled tank with no swirl pot. I have only done 32 miles but it has worked perfectly.
rusty nuts

posted on 8/6/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Keep the tank topped up and why have you only done 32 miles ? Is it not registered?
martyn_16v

posted on 8/6/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote

Calibra fuel pump, probably pretty much identical to Steve's Astra one. Have a root around a few 90's Vauxhalls at the scrapyard, some have external fuel pumps like this, others use internal ones.

andrew-theasby

posted on 8/6/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I dont think i can get a good enough swirl pot in my tank without losing capacity which i dont want to do, so i need to feed a seperate one with a pump, so would that need regulating to trip out?
If i wasnt to use the blackbird pump in the swirl pot, would that need a regulator too? i dont know if this is one on the tb's or if its just to drop the pressure at low revs as its connected to vaccuum lines. Thanks Rescued attachment throttle bodies 2a.jpg
Rescued attachment throttle bodies 2a.jpg

Steve Lovelock

posted on 8/6/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I am currently waiting for a DVLA inspection hence only 32 miles. The Calibra pump looks the same as mine. The fuel rail looks similar to mine as well and I suspect that the thing at the end is the regulator.

If you are worried about not having a swirl pot then use an additional small tank before the pump. This can be gravity fed. Swirl pots are nothing special, just a holding area for fuel to prevent fuel starvation during cornering / braking etc. So a tank the size of a can of coke would do it. Maybe I am wrong on this but I don't think the swirl pots inbuilt in normal car fuel tanks are anything special.

chasmon

posted on 8/6/08 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v

Calibra fuel pump, probably pretty much identical to Steve's Astra one. Have a root around a few 90's Vauxhalls at the scrapyard, some have external fuel pumps like this, others use internal ones.

Alot of models from corsa to calibra V6 had this pump and its plenty enough flow rate for even big power... £5 from my local scrappy so I bought two...!

andrew-theasby

posted on 8/6/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Its a bit hard to explain, but theres not enough room under the tank for gravity feed, as i want to have a diffuser under it, so the swirl pot has to be pumped, as it cant be below the level of the bottom of the tank. You might just get a small pump under it or preferably an internal one, but if its inside the tank (and to be an injection pump), id have to make a cup around it which would mean the tank could never drain lower than the level of the cup, say an inch or two, so ive added a bit on at one end like a sump, but its only an inch deep, then with baffles, that will pretty much always be full until the very last bit of fuel, but id rather not risk it picking up air, so i want this to feed a low pressure pump to the swirl pot, which then could feed a cheaper injection pump like an astra one (thats one problem answered and a few quid saved) but the thing im unsure about is that the low press pump will be going unrestricted all the time, is this ok, cause normally in a carb application they slow down once upto pressure, or is there a different type of pump for this use? Thanks
corpi

posted on 9/6/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Having the low pressure pump flat out all the time is not a good idea!

i'm putting a restrictor in the return line. I will use a MIG/MAG wire guide (correct name?) which is about 0.8mm.

this should allow the trapped air to escape to the petrol tank easily enough. and have enough petrol flow to make sure the petrol in the surge tank will not get too hot.

This way the low pressure pump will always work against a restriction, as it would with carbs.

I hope this makes sense!

andrew-theasby

posted on 9/6/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea, thats exactly what i wanted to hear. Thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.