Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting ZX10R fuel pump FAO PaulMW etc
Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/4/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting ZX10R fuel pump FAO PaulMW etc

Just considering the fuel tank requirements for when i eventually get around to building my own car.

I will be fitting a ZX10R engine and from what i read, the standard pump is the way to go as it self regulates to the required fuel pressure (as well as incorporates a low fuel level warning for the standard guages). This also simplifies matters by only requiring the single fuel line down the tunnel.

So, what are the requirements for the fuel tank to allow for fitment of the ZX10R pump?? Thinking depth, requirement for a sump etc etc. I have the standard Tiger injection fuel tank (unused) at the moment which obviously has the extra fitment for the return line so i've been thinking of selling it to fund a lightweight tank to a more suitable design.

bigrich

posted on 16/4/08 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Morning Paul.
I had my tank made by Bryn at Allyfab, although I'm pretty sure MK Martin can do the same to name a couple
my pump is from a zx6r just because their cheaper than the 1000cc zx10r pumps but appear identical.
the sump well is about 30 mm deep this has a groove machined in it for the standard o ring seal.
The tank assy cost 150 quid made to my pattern. and i supplied the pump and seal Ebay 20 quid

[Edited on 16/4/08 by bigrich]

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

tegwin

posted on 16/4/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a smart looking tank!

Sorry to semi-Hijack your thread...

Are all ZX6r, ZX9R and ZX10R mounted like that, or did some of them have out of tank pumps?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

whitestu

posted on 16/4/08 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
ZX6R with carbs have seperate pumps. I've got one in my indy.

Stu

Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/4/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ah fantastic - thanks Rich. I wasnt aware that the pump fitted from the underside of the tank so custom tank looks the way to go. The alternative of fitting a MGF pump or similar with a regulator and return line looks far more complex (and heavier) and probably no cheaper than getting a nice custom tank made like your own.

In answer to Tegwin's question - the ZX9R and earlier ZX6R's are carbed, not injection, which is what we are looking at here with the ZX10R's all being injected. An injection system with only the single fuel line isnt common as most require a fuel return and many seem to need a swirl pot which made me ask the question. The fuel pump regulates to 43psi so doesnt need the return.

tegwin

posted on 16/4/08 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Agh chears for clearing that up for me...got a tad confused there!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/4/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon-Performance-Eu
Not strictly correct, as very early ZX10's e.g. 1989/90 models to name a few years were carb'd models with NO fuel pump set into the bottom of the tank, when talking about the current era of injected ZX10R's you should really state injected being from 2004 on.

Very true - though it was clear enough stating specifically the ZX10R as opposed to the much earlier ZX10.

paulmw

posted on 16/4/08 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul

Cant really comment on the specifications but from memory my pump sits a little further into the tank than Rich's. Malc from Yorkshire engines threw in a free pump with the kit I bought. The tank was made by MK engineering to include said pump

My advice would be to source a pump and get MK to build you a tank around the pump. Personally I would be concerned about fitting a pump to an after market tank (IMO) but then I am no welder

I will try and find a pic

Regards Paul

Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/4/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
That would be great thanks Paul if you have one. I've advertised my standard Tiger injection tank now anyway so will probably do as you suggest and ask MKE to make me one. I am planning on taking the car over to them anyway to have the exhaust made so will just ask them to make the tank at the same time (when i eventually get that far!!)

I have a couple of interviews lined up next week and may well be moving your way Paul depending on what happens. Will definately have to come over to see your car at some stage.

Cheers
Paul

paulmw

posted on 16/4/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
No problem Paul, your welcome to take a look. Although the engine bay of my car looks like a dogs breakfast due to the minor electrical problems (speedo healer, power commander, lights, horn etc)

Bigrich, Paul Mason and Worx have been a huge help in getting the ZX10R up and running so I may be able to pass on some advice.

Its worth the effort though as some private land testing (cough cough) proved what a beast the ZX10R is

I have my SVA next Thursday so heres hoping..........

PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/4/08 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
That would be great thanks Paul if you have one. I've advertised my standard Tiger injection tank now anyway so will probably do as you suggest and ask MKE to make me one. I am planning on taking the car over to them anyway to have the exhaust made so will just ask them to make the tank at the same time (when i eventually get that far!!)

I have a couple of interviews lined up next week and may well be moving your way Paul depending on what happens. Will definately have to come over to see your car at some stage.

Cheers
Paul

I am sure Martin at MK could weld a small swirl pot and a adaptor plate for the pump,onto your tiger tank if its a alloy one,might be worth giving a ring to check before you sell your tank,it would be a cheaper option.,here's a picture of my standard MK tank with the adaptor plate and swirl pot fitted. Sorry not a great picture but shows the adaptor plate with the screw holes,and sealing ring recess,ready just to bolt your zx10r or zx6r injection pump to.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/4/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
I just seen your tank for sale its steel,so thats a no go then
Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/4/08 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I just seen your tank for sale its steel,so thats a no go then

I've pretty much sold it now anyway so another member here can benefit from getting the properly designed tank for the job. I'll get a new custom one to do the job with the sump as per yours and BigRich's.

Cheers
Paul

paulmw

posted on 16/4/08 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
My fuel pump Rescued attachment DSCN0032.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCN0032.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.