Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford EDIS VR sensor question.
bigandy

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Ford EDIS VR sensor question.

Evening folks.

I'm just looking at the requirements for my engine management that is going to be fitted to a Toyota 4AGE. One of the requirements is a VR sensor needs a signal from a 36-1 toothed wheel. This will be the input to the Ford EDIS module, which then goes on to the Megasquirt to be processed.

I was looking at the distributor drive on the 4Age (I have had to remove most of the distributor to get the engine to fit in), and I was wondering if it would be possible to fit a toothed wheel to that, instead of the crankshaft?

Obviously this is driven off the camshaft, and therefore running at half the speed of the crankshaft, By my reckoning, using a 72-2 toothed wheel (I.e. 35 teeth,1 missing, 35 teeth, then one more missing) should give out the same signal format.

The only issue I can see, is the size of the wheel. It will need to be quite small (maybe 4-5 inches dia?) and as such, the teeth are going to be fairly small. Is this likely to be an issue with the VR sensor?

Any opinions would be much appreciated cheers!

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Paul TigerB6

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds more trouble than its worth to be honest. Have you looked at the pics on the Autosport website on the instalation?? That is also a Toyota 4AG engine

linky thing - 1/4 of the way down

violentblue

posted on 4/3/08 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a buddy who has done half a dozen megasquirted 4age's
he uses the stock ignition with much success.

Make a post at WWW.DORIKAZE.COM and ask Steve Groenink

he'll point you in the right direction.

a few pics of my other projects

bimbleuk

posted on 4/3/08 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you're stuck for parts you could try Mel at RAW Engineering. They use the OMEX ECU and mostly fit Toyota engines. They could possibly supply you a pre-machined crank pulley with a 36-1 timing wheel on exchange.

This is the crank pulley fitted to my engine with the timing disc. Usually they machine off the outer belt drive but I'm using it to drive a rotrex SC.

<<<<< Oh and my crank sensor bracket is on the left in my avatar

Timing disc fitted
Timing disc fitted

[Edited on 4/3/08 by bimbleuk]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.