Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TB's fall off manifold.
Major Stare

posted on 24/7/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
TB's fall off manifold.

Problems with my TB's and interested in how everyone else has managed.

I have used some 45mm ID silicone hose to join the GSXR TB's to my X-Flow inlet manifold.

Iam having problems with the TBs slipping out of the silicone hose when Jubille clips are tightened up, or if i use the 52mm clips that came with the TB's, they are not clamping hard enough.

The problem is the 1/2" lip on the TB's which doesnt give sufficient space for a clip to hold the hose on.

Hope this makes sence?

Jon "FISH"

rusty nuts

posted on 24/7/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have a similar problem with mine at the moment. Silicon isn't the best stuff to use but thats what I had . Going to put some small metal straps between the T/B connecting rail and inlet manifold , that should stop it happening
paulf

posted on 24/7/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
i have used black rubber coolant hose on both my installations and had no problems, I think it is less slippy than silicone.When I removed the throttlebodys from my crossflow I found that the rubber had moulded to the lip in the mounting flange and so helped to secure them.
I also have used the narrow type jubilee clips so as to clamp only on the actual flange area rather on the hose outside of it so concentrating the clamping force.
Paul.
Paul.

Fatboy Dave

posted on 24/7/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yup.

Had this before. Also best advice is to use hose that's a good tight fit for the TBs and manifold, otherwise you tend to get slippage.

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

zetec7

posted on 25/7/07 at 04:15 AM Reply With Quote
Coolant hose - doesn't the fuel mixture dissolve it???

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ruudbeckers

posted on 25/7/07 at 05:43 AM Reply With Quote
I have used some rubbers from a gsxr carburater engine. They cost less then 10 pounds.

They are simial to ebay item 330091590321 (sorry that's in german but I don't know the englisch name for these things). Rescued attachment tb.jpg
Rescued attachment tb.jpg

paulf

posted on 25/7/07 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I was a bit worried about that but have had no problems at all .The last set up did about 2000 miles on the crossflow and the hoses are still fine, when i removed them the rubber had just distorted enough to grip the recess turned in the mounting spigot.
I used hose supplied by a local industrial supplier as coolant hose it has a smooth inner and the outside is rougher and looks like a cloth base.
Silicone is also destroyed by petrol unless it is the expensive Flourolined type and could potentially also cause damage to oxygen sensors if fitted.
I think that either would be ok though as most of the time it is in contact with mainly air.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by zetec7
Coolant hose - doesn't the fuel mixture dissolve it???

DarrenW

posted on 25/7/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
im using silicon hose with mine, showed it to Boggs and they said it will be fine. They also machine grooves in the ends of the tubes.

I have some industrial rad hose, sounds same as what Paul describes. It is 48mm ID. i have about 2' spare at the moment. Ive just supplied 1' with my old manifold to pdlewis.

Let me know if you want a length if this hose. I cut my silicon into 45mm lengths so 200mm should be enough for 4 throttle bodies / carbs.

Just measured it at 700mm so willing to supply on at cost for £7 + postage for 230mm.

[Edited on 25/7/07 by DarrenW]

DaveFJ

posted on 28/2/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have just bought some coolant hose from these guys in Ipswich

link

they acrry loads of diffrent sizes and are very helpful. I explained what i wanted and they checked the details and suggested coolant hose. apparenlty it is fuel resistant enough for my purposes but they wouldn't recommend it if was for supplying pure liquid fuel... Comes in 1m lengths.

cost me about £10 per meter and I got some 48mm id and some 54mm id for my GSXR 750 TBs

So... I will have quite a bit going spare

If anyone wants some I'm sure we can come to an arrangement!

[Edited on 29-2-08 by DaveFJ]

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

stevebubs

posted on 28/2/08 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
fuel filler hose....
paulf

posted on 2/3/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
The coolant hose will be fine , theres no signs of degradation on mine its much cheaper than the fuel filler hose and available in a wider choice of sizes.
Paul.

oioi

posted on 3/3/08 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
i struggled with coolant hose and slippage, so i bought some extra width, super strength jubilee clips (the sort that are tightened with a bolt). ive just clamped the two stubs together, using some duct tape to stop any air leakage. havent got many miles on them yet but so far so good.

That is the Curse of Speed which has plagued me all my life I am a slave to it. On my tombstone they will carve,
"IT NEVER GOT FAST ENOUGH FOR ME." - Hunter S Thompson

jacko

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Loctite super glue thats what i have used on the carbs + j/clips and i have had no probblems at all with the carbs coming off
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 3/3/08 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Black rubber coolant hose kept mine on, even when the airbox was smacking the bonnet as the engine moved. My local motor factors stocks it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.