Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt for a V8?
DIY Si

posted on 27/10/06 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt for a V8?

Evening all,
Futher to my recent ponderences on a Lola/middy type car and chassis, I've been looking more and more at the engine side of things. Whilst most use the chevy V8s I'm not such a fan of the relatively large price compared to my intended engine. I'm looking at the Jag 4.2 supercharged V8. I'm recently seen these go for ~£700! However, back to the point, I'm fairly certain the Jag ecu is going to be a right ar$e to step around and still make usable, due to the imboliser and other bits which will probably make life hard. So is there a megasquirt or similar that can reliably run a supercharged V8? Or could 2 standard units be linked to run a bank each?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

froggy

posted on 27/10/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
ive bought a v3 msns for my single turbo v8 which has coil drivers built in so no need for edis stuff and it will use the wideband lambda and 3bar map sensor. look on the ms site and there are several people who will make you an ecu with all the bits you need for under £300
DIY Si

posted on 27/10/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I had a feeling you'd know Froggy! Since I haven't started reading that far into this yet, are there any limitations with the MS unit that could prove a problem with a near 500 bhp engine? Or is it just a case of uprating the injectors etc to suit?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

DIY Si

posted on 27/10/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
That's good news. Just got more and more reading to do then.
Froggy, do you have any details for these people that could make me a suitable unit?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

DIY Si

posted on 27/10/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had a feeling you might say that! If you could get a price togther for a tested one that would suit the V8 that would be great. Or a price for the bits if you don't have time to make one.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

JackNco

posted on 27/10/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Give these guys a call and ask for some one called Collin. i saw a 4.0SC go for about 600 and decided they were worth looking in to.
They are developinga 5.0L Version for racing.

http://www.racinggreencars.com/

All you need is a 3d ignition system like megasquirt.

I have the name of a guy somewhere that was developing a bell housing and clutch that would mount a Toyota supra turbo gearbox on the jag V8.

You have to be careful there was a problem with the engines up to 2000 with a metal in the alloy, most were swaped out by jag but there are still some bad ones about.

U2U me if u are serious cuz ive got a stack of helpful links on the jag V8s somewhere

John

[Edited on 27/10/06 by JackNco]

P S

Although if your looking at putting it in a 7 forget it. at the time i was looking at putting it in a cobra. and in one of the largest engined bays in cobras (the AK) i had a good 1.5Inch spare width wise (0.75 on each side) and the supercharger wouldn't fit under the hood. it looks small when its got the water coolers mounted on it but trust me its MASSIVE. something like 7 inches over the top of the rocker covers

[Edited on 27/10/06 by JackNco]

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 28/10/06 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info. JackNco don't worry it's intended home is a lola/canam type of car, instead of the usual chevy v8 due to being much cheaper and just as powerful!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

JackNco

posted on 28/10/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
the 4.0SC was 370BHP i think but ull have no luck finding tuning parts for it at all. im very doubtful anyone is making camp or manifolds for these yet. maybe in 3/4 years time. there are allot of people that believe this engine will replace chevy/ford in the hotrod market so bits will start appearing soon enough

Let me know how u get on as i spent a few days on the phone and a few weeks reading as much as i could b4 i decided i cant aford a cobra no matter how cheap i make it n moved on to here

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 29/10/06 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
The plan is to probably buy a chassis and shell from GD cars. I'd like to make my own, but I think all the extra time involved will stall things before i finish. Just means saving up £5k ish for the two things!
Also, the 4.2 sc is supposed to be rated at 400 bhp and lb ft, but by the time I've put a proper sc on it and given it a proper exhaust, it should be up to 450-460 ish. That should do for now, until I just change the sc pulleys!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

JackNco

posted on 29/10/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure u keep us all up to date on this one!

DIY Si

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
It'll be a good while yet! I've go to sell the indy first and then finish persauding The Boss that a Lola is a good plan, but it is working. Only bugger is finding where this bloke got his screen from, as thats the only condition so far! Rescued attachment lolascreen.jpg
Rescued attachment lolascreen.jpg

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

JackNco

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
wow is that a lola, that looks awsome. how much would a kit like that set u back?

DIY Si

posted on 29/10/06 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Its from Gardner Douglas and the bits for a rolling shell, if you get it all from them will set you back £8K!!! That is literally just for the shell, chassis, suspension bits (GD cast uprights and bones) and 4 wheels. Might have to make some of it myself though, like the bones and use different wheels. GD want £1500 a set!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

JackNco

posted on 30/10/06 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
i know a guy with one of there 427s, they are bloody expensive. the guys there are quite good though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.