Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TBs on a rover v8
02GF74

posted on 6/10/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
TBs on a rover v8

anyone using or know of a rover v8 using bike Throttle bodies?

interested in seeing some photos & info.

mark chandler

posted on 6/10/06 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Closest thing I have seen in the flesh is SU boxer manifold with the carbs gutted and injectors added in the manifold pipes.

Looked pretty pants to be honest.

I have seen pictures of the EFI manifold having the tube plate modified for slides and trumpets on top, lots of effort here and looked more effective.

For myself I made a twin plenum (similar to a factory jobby) that was pretty effective and ran with megasquirt so no flappy boxes or hotwire restrictions.

Regards Mark

stevebubs

posted on 6/10/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Not RV8 but Cyclone...

Cyclone V8
Cyclone V8

02GF74

posted on 6/10/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I knew I saw them recently - a quick search found the place:

linky

re: ^^^^ what's a cyclone?

[Edited on 6/10/06 by 02GF74]

Schrodinger

posted on 6/10/06 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
A cyclone is a VERY expensive V8 based on a bike engine costs of the order of 15k IIRC needs to be rebuilt regularly as its a race engine.
stevebubs

posted on 6/10/06 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
A cyclone is a VERY expensive V8 based on a bike engine costs of the order of 15k IIRC needs to be rebuilt regularly as its a race engine.

True but the princple for mounting ITBs is the same...wasn't suggesting he threw out the RV8.

02GF74

posted on 6/10/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger

wondered what it was - has a heath robinson look to it.

Project7

posted on 6/10/06 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
This site has details of one such install - I believe the owner is also one of the people responsible for the megasquirt extra code.

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm

piddy

posted on 6/10/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen a Cobra on one of the sites I've visited.
It was running on Mega Squirt fitted with a V8 and throttle bodies. also video of it running.

froggy

posted on 6/10/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
r1 carbs on a 4.0 by bogg bros. i was going down that route but have gone for single turbo and msns. carbs and two pumps cost me £200 and the boggs manifold is £600 including the carb mods and a dyno run tb,s will de at least double that Rescued attachment CIMG0010.JPG
Rescued attachment CIMG0010.JPG

ceebmoj

posted on 8/10/06 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
hi all,

if there are a number of pepol intrested in this route I could get a group buy of 10 - 12 mm ally plates laser \ CNC cut to make inlet manifolds with.

Blake

wilkingj

posted on 8/10/06 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I could well be interested in this.
I have Weber 500 on at the moment, and am thinking of Megasquirt and T/B's.

A lot depends on the price. I would not want to pay £600 for a flat plate with some pipe welded to it. Thats crazy money (Bogg Bros??)

I have Emailed off for the costs of the Altis T/B Manifolds. I also wonder if its worth buying a set and cloning them. Not strictly ethical, but would be a good engineering project as they dont look very complicated. My only problem is I cant weld very well, Let alone in Ally

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 8/10/06 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that 600 for a set is steep witch is why I was thinking of getting the manifold plates machined locally from ally as I am sure I could get them done for a very competitive price. That would then leave people to sort out welding on there own pipes for what ever TBs they wanted. Or I could investigate complete inlet manifold construction for one or other TB set up. The other option that I could investigate is having them made from Stainless steal as I know a very good local stanles fabricator.

I guess it’s just a matter of what people want and how many people want as the more people involved the better the price for all of us.

we would also need somthing like thi as well to house the thermostate

http://www.altiss.com/ShowImage.php?ImageFolder=ComponentsPage&Image=14

Blake

[Edited on 8/10/06 by ceebmoj]

wilkingj

posted on 10/10/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to Altiss today. The price is due to the "difficulty" around the two centre ports. ie the shape / fabrication and welding it all up.
Uses Honda CBR600 Throttle bodies (38mm Venturi)
Altiss are £600 just for the manifold.

Bogg Bros do an Ally manifold for a RV8 using Honda blackbird bodies (42mm venturi) £380 inc vat just for the manifold.
Still expensive, but not so bad.

I read today that 42mm Venturi's were like having 48mm Webers, and probably a bit big for road use on a RV8. However, I have not seem any more evidence to support this.

Both helpful, people at the firms. Anyone know of another manifold Supplier?

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 10/10/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I whent to go and get a price for two manifolds from the fabricators I know yester day however thay are buisssy I left drawings thay said that would phone me back and give me a ball park figurer latter in the weak.

Uphill Racer

posted on 12/10/06 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys, u cant relate size with performance, as any girl wil tell u.....lol.
Carbs need airflow to suck................injection atomizes fuel at all air speeds. Have 8 injectors on my 1100 ZZR. Home made using DTA ECU

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/uphill-racer/INJECTION1.jpg

gazza285

posted on 15/10/06 at 03:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I read today that 42mm Venturi's were like having 48mm Webers, and probably a bit big for road use on a RV8. However, I have not seem any more evidence to support this.

Look at it in terms of individual cylinders. A tuned 2.1 Pinto runs well on 36mm venturi 45 Webers at 8000rpm. Each cylinder is 525cc.
A 4.2 is how many cc per cylinder? And at what revs?

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

wilkingj

posted on 15/10/06 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
437.5cc per pot x 8 pots. Rover v8.

6000 rpm max.

I did see a calculator on the web somewhere but like a twat, I didnt bookmark it and cant find it again!.

Best Regards
Geoff

wilkingj

posted on 19/10/06 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
ceebmoj Did you get any where with a price for the laser cut plates?

Best Regards
Geoff

Schrodinger

posted on 19/10/06 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Anybody seen this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-v8-idependant-throttle-bodies-jenvey-tvr-sd1_W0QQitemZ330040445528QQihZ014QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie wItem

wilkingj

posted on 19/10/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.. Spoken to him, and its still too expensive.
£50 worth for the bodies, and its an Altiss manifold (£600).

He has reduced the price, but tis too much for me. You still need Pumps swirl pot filters, pressure regulator, and ECU..

He did say its good, but is going Supercharged to get low torque and mid range power. These were all Top end power.

I am thinking of a modified twin (home built plenum and a pair of throttle bodies..

Probably a LOT cheaper too.

Best Regards
Geoff

ceebmoj

posted on 19/10/06 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
hi all,

can get the plates made in ally for £50 a pair ish. But I am still weighting on the price of a set of manifolds made up will pop in to see the guy tomorow and get a price for the manifolds.

Blake

wilkingj

posted on 21/10/06 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just been tidying the shed ready for a trip to the tip.

Looking at my spare manifold, It would be possible to cut away the top section and then weld in some tubes for the throttle body. Also you could plate off the back of the waterway section and retain the thermostat bousing and waterway. This would have benefits with the seating of the manifold and the sealing of the valley gasket.

Also you must only use the front set of waterways or the front section will overheat as nothing much will flow along the head. (read this on the net re: a guy who made his own manifold).

I have also noticed that 46mm O/D ally scaffold has an internal diameter of approx 39mm, and its thick walled. - Useful bit of knowlege for this project.

Also if making plates, there are two things I can see to be careful of.
1. The fixing bolts need to pass through the plate at an angle. This would probably best be done by drilling an oversized hole and then welding a short tubular boss onto the plate so the bolt head seats squarely on the boss, or it will not sit flat on the plate of the new manifold.

2. The lower side of the plate needs to be set such that it holds the Valley gasket down near the rubber seals at each end of the valley. This I think needs a plate of 470mm x 65mm min, and whatever thickness.

Also the width of the inlet port is 44mm x 24mm. This does not match well into a 39mm circular pipe.

Whether it is better to have a thicker plate, say 25mm, and do a transition in the plate, or a fabricated one with a thinner one. I dont really know. I have also wondered if using a thinner walled tube, like a TV aerial pole and crushing one end so it is a squared off oval shape to fit in the manifold plate.

Anyone else thought about this?..

Just my 2d worth... I'm off to the tip now I'v had my cup of tea..

Best Regards
Geoff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.