Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TB to manifold
Dusty

posted on 2/12/05 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
TB to manifold

Been thinking about how best (read locostliest) to attach GSXR bodies to the zetec DCOE type manifold. New flanges and rubbers are going to cost.
Can anyone advise or see problems with simply tig welding them in place. Granted they will not be removable but I cant see myself removing them anyway. At a future date the manifold could be recovered and as good as new with a little milling if I ever found I could afford jenveys. Rescued attachment tbsweb.jpg
Rescued attachment tbsweb.jpg

dmottaway

posted on 2/12/05 at 03:44 AM Reply With Quote
how about welding them to a plate, then cutting the plate to fit the manifold? then you could take them off easily with no threat of harm to the manifold.

just a thought.

dave

Somewhere, in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

nre

posted on 2/12/05 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Main problem I see with tig welding them is that if you get even the slightest bit of distortion then the spindles may go out of alignment, leading to a stiff and sticky throttle...

Neil

Sylva Mojo Zetec on GSXR750 throttle bodies...
www.mymojo.co.uk - Facebook feed

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

James

posted on 2/12/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Can't quite remember but isn't there a manifold that bolts the two together?

Something like the ST170 manifold or something is compatible.

Does that help?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

garyo

posted on 2/12/05 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
what about cutting the flange off the manifold, so just leaving the head flange and stubs (like an ST170 manifold) and using the bike rubbers to connect them?
stevebubs

posted on 2/12/05 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Nev Powell on the Sylva list has machine up some flanges

I'll U2U his details over

stevebubs

posted on 2/12/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Get some 42mm id tubeing and a 3mm plate

cut the tubing to 4 short lengths

weld the tubing to the plate and match it up to the manifold

Attach the TBs to this new manifold

*or*

make the manifold yourself using the same method and sell the DCOE one...

MikeR

posted on 2/12/05 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Just about to suggest the same!

Only issue is getting hte connecting bits of rubber - they aint cheep. I've got some blackbird throttle boddies i need to do the same with.

stevebubs

posted on 2/12/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen petrol filler pipe and jubillee clips used to good effect...
Dusty

posted on 2/12/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have looked at all the above and am still stuck on cost which is why I thought about tig welding. Is it technicaly possible. The bodies are fairly solid, seat flat on the manifold, can be clamped up firmly. Is distortion a likely problem. Are the two metals likely to be so dissimilar as to make welding a no?
GeoffT

posted on 2/12/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I made up my own adaptors using some tube and flat plate, all glued together with Technoweld. Used short pieces of coolant hose for the connectors.

Some pics in my archive in throttle bodies folder.

garyo

posted on 2/12/05 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
It's no so much that the metals might be different, but that the process of welding involves melting metal and then letting it cool down again. As metal cools it contracts, so pulls everything towards it. When you have molten 'weld' falling on the cool(er) manifold and bodies, all sorts of interesting things happen.

Depending on the thickness of the metals and the distance between the weld point and the spindles, you may be okay.

Gary

Dusty

posted on 2/12/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Think I will have a go with the Lumiweld/Technoweld stuff for starters
paulf

posted on 2/12/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have been looking for some rubber to fit my throttle bodys and eventually got around to visiting the local hydraulic supplier.
I got a meter of 38mm id hose with a smooth bore and about 3mm wall thickness for £7 said to be fuel and oil resistant its a bit like rad hose. also had it in 40mm id and im sure other sizes.It fits the 40mm od throttle bodys easily and allowed me to join them to 38od manifold stubs.
Just got to get some decent looking jubillie clips .
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Just about to suggest the same!

Only issue is getting hte connecting bits of rubber - they aint cheep. I've got some blackbird throttle boddies i need to do the same with.

MikeR

posted on 2/12/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
good thinking PaulF..........

got some of those places near me !

MikeRJ

posted on 8/12/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't even think of the welding the throttle bodies directly to the manifold, the chances of having a combined scrap manifold and throttle bodies is far too high IMO.

If they are anything like carbs, the alloy is more like a zinc die casting rather than aluminium.

If you have access to a TIG, then chop up your manifold to leave just the flange and get some suitably sized alloy stubs welded to it and connect the TB's via shrot lengths of rubber/silicon hosing as it was on the bike. Short bits of straight silicon hose is not that expensive (the bends are the expensive things). Have a look on ebay, there are often people selling Samco style hosing cheaply.

RazMan

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Just got to get some decent looking jubillie clips

You might be better off with stainless exhaust clamps - much neater

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.