Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XR4x4 fuel distributor
Namyllegin

posted on 2/9/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
XR4x4 fuel distributor

Hi,
I have fitted a Sierra XR4x4 Cologne V6 to my Locost and am trying to fit the fuel distributor. At the moment if I use the existing air hose the air filter will stick out the near side by a mile.
So I am looking for ideas of how to mount the fuel distributor and whether to chop off the air filter and re-locate this.

Any ideas or pictures please ???

Nige

Chippy

posted on 2/9/12 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Picture of exactly what you are refering to would help, but I think that you are talking about is the air flow metters.

[img] Ready for air filters.
Ready for air filters.
[/img]

This is what I did with mine, set up the Air Flow Metters so that the air filters went through the side of the bonnet and into the fresh air, worked well with the 12 Valve. HTH Ray

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

This is what I have now, but it shows the air filter fixing, to give an idea.

[Edited on 2-9-12 by Chippy]

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Namyllegin

posted on 2/9/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Xr4x4 fuel distributor

Good idea Chippy,
hopefully photo attached _ if I've done it right ?????

Anyway, the bit I'm looking to relocate is the black lump on the right. It is a K Jetronic system so is not too complicated - hopefully.

Cheers

Nigel

[Edited on 2/9/12 by Namyllegin]
[img]http:// XR4x4 Fuel distributor
XR4x4 Fuel distributor
[/img]

Chippy

posted on 2/9/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I think that is the resonator box, may contain the air filter as well. Not had much to do with the 2.8, but on the 2.9 I just scrapped all that junk and fitted just the air flow metters, (two on the 2.9), didn't make any difference to the running, in fact upped the BHP a fair bit. While I cant tell you what effect it would have on your engine, I would suggest that you do the same, and just see how it runs. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MikeRJ

posted on 3/9/12 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
I think that is the resonator box, may contain the air filter as well. Not had much to do with the 2.8, but on the 2.9 I just scrapped all that junk and fitted just the air flow metters, (two on the 2.9), didn't make any difference to the running, in fact upped the BHP a fair bit. While I cant tell you what effect it would have on your engine, I would suggest that you do the same, and just see how it runs. HTH Ray

The XR4x4 has the ancient Bosch K Jetronic system, completely different to the (analog) electronic L-Jetronic system used on the Cosworth engines. The K Jetronic is a mechanical, continuous injection system; the "fuel distributor" is the device that meters fuel according to airflow - you can see the pipes comming from the distributor to the injectors just behind the airbox.

Namyllegin

posted on 3/9/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I appreciate the K jetronic system has the fuel distributor etc, I am looking for ideas on how to mount the contraption and the associated air filter.

Chippy

posted on 3/9/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
What's to stop you doing as I have shown in the picture.

[img]
[/img]

The air/filter box is just not required, and the section of pipe between the white lines can be shortened. Or is there something about the fuel set up that makes that not possable?
Cheers Ray

Namyllegin

posted on 4/9/12 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ray,

I'm sorting a mates camper van tonight but will have a look after to see what can be 'modified'

Nige

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.