Board logo

Fuel rail challenges
Steve Lovelock - 7/9/06 at 07:37 PM

Hello,

I am going to run my Vx 16V Redtop engine with a set of GSXR1000 TBs and a megasquirt ignition / fuel control set up. I am getting closer to finalising the finished package but have a problem with the fuelling side of things. I am currently thinking of removing the bike injectors and running with the original Vx parts which will fit on the manifold as I am cutting the original Vx manifold in half and welding on tubes to take the GSXR TBs. My questions are:

If I use the original fuel rail what tubes do I connect up to the pump and the return and what tube do I blank off?

Will this set-up be ok for a Redtop engine that is in standard tune? Rescued attachment DSCF0362 rev1a.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0362 rev1a.JPG

rayward - 7/9/06 at 07:40 PM

number 1 - return to tank/swirl pot
number 2 - supply from fuel pump
number 3 - vaccum connection to manifold

Ray

Steve Lovelock - 7/9/06 at 08:31 PM

OK, I thought that the little cylinder by outlet marked 3 was a pressure regulator, is that so?

rayward - 7/9/06 at 09:10 PM

yes it is, the vacuum adjust the flow of fuel returning to tank, so the fuel pressure increases as engine speed rises,

Ray

Steve Lovelock - 8/9/06 at 10:24 AM

How will variable fuel pressure work with a megasquirt, any ideas?

matt_claydon - 8/9/06 at 11:10 AM

It's what you want. The idea is to keep the pressure difference between the fuel and manifold at the specified pressure so the injectors always flow the same.

If you don't have a vacuum pipe on the reg then you might end up with 3 bar fuel pressure + 0.5 bar manifold vacuum giving a total of 3.5 bar effective pressure and will end up overfuelling.

It's not that important as it can be taken account of in the VE table but it's the 'proper' way of doing it.