Board logo

So far So Good
grusks2 - 16/10/08 at 09:40 PM

Had a busy few days ( well 30 hours so far)

All the ali panels fitted

Handbrake cut out and fitted

Brake pipe fitted & flared etc ( well will be when collin sends my 'T' peices lol)

Rear Suspension all bolted togeather

Bodywork temp fitted and cutting out for front wishbones

Front suspension mocked up

Diff Mounted into chassis

bigrich - 16/10/08 at 09:53 PM

nice one Spence. just a small point are your shockers for normal or inverted use as your rears are fitted normal and fronts are upsidedown. unless you spec'ed them they will be coventionally valved so will need the fronts turning around.
Looking good though mate

Flamez - 17/10/08 at 05:22 AM

yeah looking good, I pick mine up next wed, same chassis colour but kawa green body and black wings etc.

speedyxjs - 17/10/08 at 06:55 AM

Nice work
I wish i could get round to making mine look like that

grusks2 - 17/10/08 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
nice one Spence. just a small point are your shockers for normal or inverted use as your rears are fitted normal and fronts are upsidedown. unless you spec'ed them they will be coventionally valved so will need the fronts turning around.
Looking good though mate

Ive only mocked up the front to make a template to cut holes in the body work, but i was going to mount them upside down for un-sprung weight, but i didn't know they have to valved different, so looks like ill be mounting them the normal way, cheers for pointing that out.

Omni - 17/10/08 at 09:18 AM

VERY NICE :-)

[Edited on 17/10/08 by Omni]

grusks2 - 25/10/08 at 07:11 PM

Another week of Mac#1 Building

Rear tub cut and shaped and temp fitted

Made the ali scuttle rear panels

Engine bolted in place

Bit of trouble with clutch cable, with the adjuster screws wound right in, the mounting eye on the other end of the cable just about pops out the tube in the chassis, but no where near the pedal to be bolted to.

Have i got to reduce this tube or is something wrong....?

bigrich - 25/10/08 at 09:52 PM

Spence,
Try using a lock nut either side of the cable mount, this will give you more length in the inner cable, if thats still a bit short then you may also need to trim the tube the cable runs in slightly. I know Col has shortend this in production but still may need a little fine tuning

Rich

grusks2 - 26/10/08 at 10:14 AM

Ill try again later rich when the wife aint giving me cleaning jobs in doors

It just about reaches but with with my sausage fingers it was a bit fiddley

JIZZSTER - 30/10/08 at 08:01 AM

WOW SPENCE PUTTING ME TO SHAME MATE MINE GOING WELL SLOW

STEVE

JIZZSTER - 30/10/08 at 08:02 AM

YOUR BUILD IS LOOKING AMAZING ILL TRY TO POST SOME PICS LATER

STEVE

grusks2 - 5/11/08 at 08:29 PM

Another quite week at work so loads of mac#1 building

Finished off running brake lines and braided hoses ( there is now a loc nut on the 'T' peice for all you eagle eyes)

Front susspension all finished, the front wing brackets are very close to the tyres....?

I can just about get the straight edge from a set square between them

And not much room to for a nut to bolt the arches too.

Oh and i wired most the car, ( has the kick stand wire got to be earthed for the engine to start...?)

bigrich - 5/11/08 at 09:29 PM

Dont bother bolting the front mudgaurds, just use the panel adhesive supplied or similar

grusks2 - 5/11/08 at 09:35 PM

Will it bond to the powder coat or shall i key it/clean back to bear metal...?

bigrich - 5/11/08 at 10:05 PM

mines been fine on the powder coat

DarrenW - 6/11/08 at 10:37 AM

You are making fantastic progress. Might be ready for a set of plates for xmas at this rate!!

When boding the arches on i stuck them initially with a bead on top of the wing stays. Afterwards removed the wheels and applied more adhesive underneath the stay and spread wider to underside of the GRP. When you first stick them take care to position them carefully and hold them securely until set (plenty of tape). Mine slipped back and only just passed SVA!

My wing stays didnt have the upstand that you bend over so i used bright steel (older style stays). If you are concerned about sticking to the powder coat you can remove some of it and apply plenty of sticky stuff to seal the raw face from the elements.

grusks2 - 14/11/08 at 09:21 PM

Body work

Side panels bonded into place, scuttle bolted down via rivnuts, etc, need to play with with the front arches as they rub the under side of the arch.

Swapped the ali scuttle rear panel for some carbon sheet ( well carbon lookalike abs plastic sheet) for the ecu's to mount on.

Not a lot of thread in there.....?

[Edited on 14/11/08 by grusks2]

bigrich - 14/11/08 at 11:56 PM

I changed the wheel studs on my hubs for some 13mm longer. pretty sure they where fom Rally Design

grusks2 - 2/12/08 at 06:40 PM

With the camber adjusters pressed home, there is no way of getting a 25mm socket in to turn them, any ideas. The edge of the 2 wishbone tubes are to close to the tube where the end of the adjuster presses home.. Rescued attachment 15102008038.jpg
Rescued attachment 15102008038.jpg

mr_pr - 15/12/08 at 08:13 PM

Did you sort the issue with the studs? Did you have to buy longer ones?

Also, have you fitted your rear discs yet? Did they fit over the hub? Mine don't!

grusks2 - 15/12/08 at 08:37 PM

Ive placed a order with santa for some longer wheel studs, my rear hubs all ready have longer ones on, i havent got my rear brakes yet, there on there way as we type from mac#1 today ready to be fitted, i see how i get on, i have got a spare set of caliper mounting brackets so i how i get on withthe mac#1 first then see if the others fit as well.

grusks2 - 20/12/08 at 04:37 PM

This is better than xmas shopping

And when i connect up the battery it all works which is nice.

PAUL FISHER - 20/12/08 at 05:29 PM

Looking good,the zx10r clocks look cool lit up a photo does not do them justice,here's a quick video of mine off my zx10r Indy clocks.
Noticed yours are reading farenheit,don't no if you no,you can change it to centigrade by pressing a few buttons just can't remember which ones off hand though.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OcF9GYR8Q9s&feature=channel_page

mr_pr - 20/12/08 at 07:54 PM

Looking good always! Keep up the good work, I am chasing behind you and it's nice to see one getting built ahead of me!

grusks2 - 5/1/09 at 08:47 PM

Nearly there dash wise, just waiting for the horn, no rude comments lol

grusks2 - 29/1/09 at 06:07 PM

Sent off for the SVa today for the second week in april

Flamez - 1/2/09 at 07:03 AM

Hi spence looking good.

[Edited on 1-2-09 by Flamez]

dean100yz - 1/2/09 at 01:36 PM

That looks so nice (very envious)

Trying not to sound too dumb whats the light on the bottom left? Like a brake light??

grusks2 - 6/2/09 at 08:30 PM

Its a brake test switch ( for when the master cylinder is low on fluid)

quote:
Originally posted by dean100yz
That looks so nice (very envious)

Trying not to sound too dumb whats the light on the bottom left? Like a brake light??

grusks2 - 10/2/09 at 07:28 PM

SVA booked for 8th april.. Woo Hoo

RK - 11/2/09 at 11:58 AM

Looks nice! How did you get that notched bend in your wing stays? I have to do that, but I'm afraid of starting without knowing what I'm doing.

grusks2 - 18/2/09 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
Looks nice! How did you get that notched bend in your wing stays? I have to do that, but I'm afraid of starting without knowing what I'm doing.

They come like that

grusks2 - 18/2/09 at 05:25 PM

Nearly Finished

grusks2 - 10/4/09 at 08:28 AM

Failed SVA on wednesday,

1 No Self centring at all

2 Lamba emmisions reads slighty to high

and a few minor things that were sorted on the day,

wrong headlight bulbs,
weeping break pipe joint on light switch tee piece
trim around theharness holes in the seats

[Edited on 10/4/09 by grusks2]

justinnewton - 14/4/09 at 09:57 PM

Sorry you didn't pass but sounds like you've built a pretty solid car just to fail on those bits. You can make the steering self centre by making the wheels toe out.

grusks2 - 2/5/09 at 09:08 PM

Well self centring all sorted, i had the drivers side top wishbone upside down making my suspension all over the place, to much neg camber to start with 2deg, after swapping it over and re-aligning it all as per Marks toe out settings it self centres perfectly

Head lights all sorted, retest booked for 12th may fingers crossed

Flamez - 4/5/09 at 06:16 AM

good luck and i'll keep my fingers crossed.

grusks2 - 12/5/09 at 06:48 PM

Passed the retest today, with a massive thanks to colin and his magic fingers on my laptop/power commander.

Another set of bulbs and a big red face when i found out i hadd wired my main & dipped the wrong way round.

Then i left with a Mac for my Mac

YYIIPPPPEEEE

Flamez - 13/5/09 at 11:59 AM

Well done spence. Did colin come down on his "muscle" bike. It looks awesome.

giggsy - 13/5/09 at 09:23 PM

Looks amazing, what did you find the hardest thing to do the wiring?

Flamez - 14/5/09 at 12:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by giggsy
Looks amazing, what did you find the hardest thing to do the wiring?

He is an auto electrician lol.....

giggsy - 14/5/09 at 06:17 PM

NO wonder it all looks so professional.

grusks2 - 14/5/09 at 07:26 PM

Some electrician I am, I couldn’t even wire up my head lamp bulbs lol,

The hardest bits was picking the colours, so many to choose from, and different combinations, and also putting the engine in the car single handed, they're still f&8king heavy

Phil, have you been out in car yet, im off to the DVLA tomorrow fingers crossed to get it reg'd and im off to brands hatch June 10 for some fun,

ps yep colin came down on his honda c90 lol

[Edited on 14/5/09 by grusks2]

giggsy - 14/5/09 at 08:02 PM

I know i had a brain melt down so i have just gone with a black chassis, wishbones etc and a red body, boring but i could put a twin white stripe down it.07 motor from yorkshire engines clocks,diff r1 rad off ebay.Picking up chassis on saturday,has yours got a paddle shifter?

grusks2 - 14/5/09 at 08:21 PM

Sounds good to me

Nope just a normal gear shift/stick, do marc/colin do a paddle shift...?

giggsy - 14/5/09 at 09:29 PM

I thought they did as mac#1 cars on this forum do. I will ask on saturday, back along i did quiz colin about it but he said they were tricky to fit.Would be cool with a quick shifter just bang it up though the gears with the right pedal flat to the floor. If you have any more photo's of your different stage builds please put them up as they help give me some idea what to do!I am more a rider/driver than a builder but i have i friend who is ok with the spanners.Good luck with the trackday paddock hill should be good, it is on a bike.

dean100yz - 14/5/09 at 09:33 PM

Spence what company you doing Brands with? I spoke to Collin today and mines looking at being completed or near on by end of next week. Wanna get some under my belt.

Also giggsy where bouts in Dorset are ya. I got family up there and will be taking my MAC up there mid June for a few days. I'll just had a quickshifter/flatshifter fitted.

From what Collin said. They dont seem keen on them but will fit them if asked. Ive only heard good things from drivers though so time will tell!

[Edited on 14/5/09 by dean100yz]

giggsy - 14/5/09 at 09:53 PM

Hi dean, i live just outside yeovil which is on the somerset/dorset border near the A 37. Focused events do car trackdays i've done many bike ones with them, they are quite good.The ones in spain jerez and cartagena were the best. Anybody up for mac#1 trip to the nurburgring next year?

dean100yz - 14/5/09 at 10:00 PM

Yeah giggsy w/out question Im doing Nurburgring. I have already been talking about when next year with my mate who has a stripped out Pug 106 Rallye. Not quick but a good toot!

I wont go Germany this year just want to get a few UK trackdays done first. Done about 6 on a road bike but never in a car so have no idea what to expect.

Brands Ive done 4 times (all Indy). Great track!

My family are somerset and being that Im so lazy and always use sat nav to get to their door im not too sure where that is from you? Some great roads out there though!

Flamez - 15/5/09 at 12:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by grusks2
Some electrician I am, I couldn’t even wire up my head lamp bulbs lol,

The hardest bits was picking the colours, so many to choose from, and different combinations, and also putting the engine in the car single handed, they're still f&8king heavy

Phil, have you been out in car yet, im off to the DVLA tomorrow fingers crossed to get it reg'd and im off to brands hatch June 10 for some fun,

ps yep colin came down on his honda c90 lol

[Edited on 14/5/09 by grusks2]

Not on the road yet, I'm still aiting for the exhaust can, gear knob and dvla appointment, olus I am in Florida for 2 weeks soaking up the sun.

maybe we can meet on a trackday soon.

grusks2 - 15/5/09 at 06:13 PM

Brands direct ( motorsportvision.co.uk )

£119 for an open pit lane evening on the indy circuit, 17.00 - 20.00 tracktime

Had the dvla pain today, they weren't happy with the newnesss of my diff when they inspected it last month ( with fake reciept and its all cleaned up and painted) but they didn't belive me and as the engine was recon im stuck with a 'Q' plate

Mr gigsy ive over 1000 photos so its a bit hard to post, give us your email address and ill send some zipped up,

If your stuck on any part of the build, just phone the factory ( just get there names right) i still call mark>colin and colin>mark

grusks2 - 15/5/09 at 06:17 PM

quote:

Not on the road yet, I'm still aiting for the exhaust can, gear knob and dvla appointment, olus I am in Florida for 2 weeks soaking up the sun.

Another holiday phil, are you married to Judith Charmers

dean100yz - 15/5/09 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Brands direct ( motorsportvision.co.uk )

£119 for an open pit lane evening on the indy circuit, 17.00 - 20.00 tracktime

If your stuck on any part of the build, just phone the factory ( just get there names right) i still call mark>colin and colin>mark

Oks well soon as I got the car back on my drive ill book it up myself. You'll see me ploding along just as long as nothign else falls off!!

The Mark/Collin bit made me laugh - thought it was judt me who did that. Its the accent

Flamez - 15/5/09 at 10:21 PM

quote:
quote:

Another holiday phil, are you married to Judith Charmers

Ahhh the joys of retirement from public service and still in my early 50"s.

grusks2 - 21/5/09 at 06:23 PM

Had my first drive today, three words some it up

OH MY GOD

Roll On Brands Hatch so i can use it properly

[Edited on 21/5/09 by grusks2]

grusks2 - 21/5/09 at 07:01 PM

I would like to say a massive thanks to Mark and Colin at mac#1 for all the help along the way, and thanks to everyone else thats given me advise over the last 6 months..

grusks2 - 26/5/09 at 09:41 PM

Fitted my gear indicator the weekend and it works a treat, easy to fit and fairly easy to set up ( although ive not set the shift light side function yet ) five wires and a few revs between 4000 & 8000 in each gear and that was it.

http://www.brspecialtuning.co.uk/Shift%20light.htm

A 250 mile test trip over the weekend and nothing fell off, but my bushes on the diff (sods law the only part of the car that wasn't brand new) are worn and the diff is knocking on the rear chassis.

New set ordered and car already in bits ready for them to be fitted.

Cant belive how quick these cars are, and how well they pull in 6 gear. still got a smile on my face.

Cant belive all the way from essex to norfolk to north london back to essex, loads of nice lanes & motorways, nice weather and nothing worth having blast with apart from a teen in a saxo and a white van man revving at the lights

[Edited on 26/5/09 by grusks2]

giggsy - 26/5/09 at 10:27 PM

Great to hear your happy with it,i have just started building mine now.I will get some new diff mount bushes as i have an oldish unit.I am using your build as a manual i just wish i had a book like a haynes one!

dean100yz - 27/5/09 at 06:50 PM

Real pleased that its all done are your happy. Can imagine with that engine and being a worx it erm goes quite nicely

Looking forward to getting mine now - think ive bugged collin a little too much cant help it with all this nice weather!

You'll have to take me out in the ZX12R - would like to see how much more they are on what I have

Well done again

Dean

grusks2 - 3/6/09 at 06:33 PM

Whats happened to the weather

Flamez - 3/6/09 at 07:02 PM

Looks good spence,

Went for my first legal drive today, I had a major fault with the tb's that were staying open at 3000 rpm, not what you want approaching a roundabout. After a chat with colin and following his advice I had a bent butterfly spindle that wasn't closing properly. Probably as a result of the donor... Anyway I had a spare set, as you do, fitted those and everything is fine now.

I like your stripes mine arrived today and I am yet to decide on twin or a single stripe.

Hope to see you on a circuit one day.

Are you going to Newark as the factory is there. I plan going on sat, camping and returning home sunday.

grusks2 - 3/6/09 at 07:24 PM

Not sure on going to newark yet, need to check if im allowed out

I changed my mind over the stripes 3 times, 2, 1, fat or thin, It was fun getting them dead straight down the centre of the car.

Did you get a 09 or a 'Q' plate in the end...?

Flamez - 4/6/09 at 06:11 AM

09 plate yes i'm concerned about getting the stripe[s] straight over the bonnet bulge. A job for the missus I think.

and i'll go for one fat one ....

quote:
Not sure on going to newark yet, need to check if im allowed out

I changed my mind over the stripes 3 times, 2, 1, fat or thin, It was fun getting them dead straight down the centre of the car.

Did you get a 09 or a 'Q' plate in the end...?

grusks2 - 15/6/09 at 05:18 PM

Rolling road booked for monday 29th