Board logo

Cat fitted
Flamez - 28/7/09 at 07:02 AM

I am hoping to enter a hill climb and sprint series next year. One of the MSA stipulations is that a cat must be fitted dependant upon year.

I had the dilema of whether to cut the exhausts and insert the cat in line or fit it into the existing can.

Mac1's SVA/IVA can has a cat fitted inside and this meets both the emissions and noise so I chose that way to go. It was a fairly easy process.

The cat is a sports type with 2" dia entry and exit pipe. I disassembled the can and removed the baffle. I then trimmed the entry and exit pipes of the cat to give maximum baffle length. I shortened the baffle to fit and used a piece as the joiner for the cat to the front of the can.
Thee baffles were secured to the cat with 4.8 steel rivets. Steel wool was wrapped around the baffle and the can was then reassembled after a fight with the wadding. Again the end cap was secured using 4.8 steel rivets.

MSA regs mets and I think it may be a little quieter. Not sure if there is a performance loss yet as it has to be road tested. I hope to get the overall noise levels down when my new airbox is fitted. I am currently running at 102db at 7500rpm.

exhaust and cat
exhaust and cat

Thanks to Mark and Col for continued advice.

Andy B - 28/7/09 at 07:20 AM

Just a word of caution - we have had massive problems trying to comply with this piece of legislation within RGB.
Nearly all the cats fitted have failed, some with disaterous consequences as they blocked the exhaust as they melted and delaminated.
Cats that failed were from a number of different manufacturers and ranfed from cheap to expensive motorsport versions.
Some fitted precan some in can
At present the case is being reviewed due to the huge cost it has inflicted on drivers
Give me a call on 01449 736633 if you want more details and a few ideas on how to get around it
regards
Andy

spdpug98 - 28/7/09 at 07:34 AM

Andy

I hope you don't mind but I may call you as well, as this is something I am looking to do next year (sprints & poss a few races)

Flamez - 28/7/09 at 08:49 AM

Thanks for your comments Andy on cats and there resultant failures in the RGB series.,

Tried phoning but no reply.

As the cat is down the system wont the heat be lower?

The car is mainly used for trackdays and sprints, the first is usually 5 - 10 laps; 20 minutes at a time and sprints are sub 2 minutes. Will the system heat up enough to cause the damage you state.

I was reluctant to cut into the downpipes as the system is
4-2-1 and i didn't want to lose the aesthetics or design as i have read somewhere that longer pipes = less noise.

My only other alternative would be to put the cat in line where the current can starts and then fit a small 15" race can. Something I may consider in the future depending on performance, noise and longevity of the current system.

I have found that exhausts don't seem to be an exact science, no-one seems to give you a guarantee on noise or performance.

What have others done on track, hill climb and sprint events?

[Edited on 28-7-09 by Flamez]

Flamez - 28/7/09 at 10:25 AM

Andy many thanks for your advice on the phone. It gave me a good insight as to what may be needed for the future.

If I get a failure. I'll let you know to add to the list.

Once again thanks for the sound advice.

l0rd - 28/7/09 at 01:32 PM

Would it be ok if you share some of the info?

Flamez - 28/7/09 at 02:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Would it be ok if you share some of the info?

If you visit the RGB forum, here it will explain the issues they had when racing.

On some occasions the the cat broke down and blocked the exhaust. But many have had no issues at all.