Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First drive today.
stuart_g

posted on 12/7/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
First drive today.

I went out for the first drive in my car today, it's bloody quick, I'm well impressed. I've never driven a seven before untill today.

I have one little problem and that is a noise which sounds like it's coming from the propshaft at the diff end. It occasionally makes a knocking noise when pulling away and makes a vibrating noise when coming off the throttle while slowing down at about 5-6k rpm. I have had a look and everything seems to be done up tight, any ideas?

Prop is new and is a TRT.

I also have slop in the diff, I can turn the flange about 10mm. Is this normal or could it cause the symptoms above.

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 12/7/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
the slop in the diff sounds like you or somebody else hasnt set the mesh depth correctly,the round toothed flanges either side of the diff(sierra)
regards wayne!! Rescued attachment DSCN1676 modded.jpg
Rescued attachment DSCN1676 modded.jpg

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

stuart_g

posted on 12/7/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IDONTBELEIVEIT
the slop in the diff sounds like you or somebody else hasnt set the mesh depth correctly,the round toothed flanges either side of the diff(sierra)
regards wayne!!

The diff hasn't been apart, not by me anyway. I bought it from a ford spares place.

It is strange though as I can't remember it feeling like there was that much slop in it before I fitted it. Could the part of the drive shaft that goes into the diff be the wrong length? I bought the drive shafts seperately, obviously they are different overall lengths but what about the part that goes into the diff, are there different length's?

matt.c

posted on 12/7/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
The noise that you are hearing is quite normal. Its just the slack being taken up. Mine has a TRT and does the same. Try driving a bec without a TRT fitted.

adithorp

posted on 12/7/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some knocks and clunks are normal. I found it quite disconcerting at first. I hardly notice it now. Its made worse by the panels acting like drums. I put a square of sound mat (CBS sell it) in the middle of every panel (on the underside) and its a lot quieter.

adrian

amalyos

posted on 12/7/08 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
You will get lots of clonks from the diff and box, but if it's really bad from the rear, you might find that the planet gears are worn.
I had an LSD that was very worn and made some horrendous noises. I ended up replacing the diff.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Wells

posted on 13/7/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the propshaft bolts are tight were it meets the diff. Also check the bolts at the front of the shaft as knocking noises will travel along the prop. That solved my problem as they were working there way loose.
stuart_g

posted on 14/7/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Definately a problem with my diff, I now have oil coming out of it somewhere, I found some on the floor of the car today coming from under the tunnel cover. I fitted a new front seal before it went in the car aswell. Going to have to investigate this now, may be a good idea to take it out of the car and get it checked over.
finlay

posted on 15/7/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
thats a bit of a bummer, sorry to hear that

hope you get it sorted

stuart_g

posted on 15/7/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Got the diff out of the car tonight, not fun can see what the problem is though, seems to be the planet gears are knackered. Going to get it rebuilt so should be a lot better when it comes back.

The diff was not supplied by MNR by the way, I sourced it myself, just in case anyone was thinking it. I posted in this section as it was my first drive in the car and I had a big cheesy grin all weekend can't wait to get it all back together now.

coozer

posted on 16/7/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not just worth getting another and bunging it in? Got to be cheaper than a rebuild??

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Johneturbo

posted on 16/7/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Not just worth getting another and bunging it in? Got to be cheaper than a rebuild??

Steve

depends on the ratio, a 3.38 can be around £200 and then it could be a pile of poo!

stuart_g

posted on 16/7/08 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Steve

depends on the ratio, a 3.38 can be around £200 and then it could be a pile of poo!

Rebuild is costing £230+vat, not exactly locost but for that the only original parts will be the crown and pinion wheel which thankfully are O.K.
It is a 3.38 and as we all know are hard to get hold of and as John says you can pay a lot of money for one which could be knackered. I only paid £47 for it in the first place so well worth the cost of a rebuild.

eccsmk

posted on 16/7/08 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
The noise that you are hearing is quite normal. Its just the slack being taken up. Mine has a TRT and does the same. Try driving a bec without a TRT fitted.

like mine
TING TING TING

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.