Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch cable snagging.
chockymonster

posted on 24/9/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch cable snagging.

I've got a slight problem with my clutch cable.

The crimped swage on the cable catches as the pedal is let lifted.

I've played about with the cable ends to try and stop the swage catching but I can't see how to do it.

The pedal sits slightly behind the brake pedal and no matter what I do with the cable it always catches.

Cable snagging
Cable snagging

Excuse the bits of swarf that need sweeping up. Rinsing them out didn't work, damned hosepipe bans.

[Edited on 24/9/06 by chockymonster]

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 25/9/06 at 05:01 AM Reply With Quote
Mine doesnt return far enuff for that to be a problem, but I am guessing yours is a problem due to the fact it is thru the lower chassis tube and not the bulkhead...

If you run the cable thru the bottom hole for the clutch master cylinder, and then adjust the cable so that the 2 dont meet your problem will be solved...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

chockymonster

posted on 25/9/06 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
If you run the cable thru the bottom hole for the clutch master cylinder, and then adjust the cable so that the 2 dont meet your problem will be solved...

I can't do that. My clutch pedal mounts at the same height as the brake pedal, if I run the cable any higher the cable has such a bend on it that it will soon wear through. It was Marc's advice to run it through the lower tube because of the newer modified pedal box that was designed for extra pedal feel.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 25/9/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Then I guess you need a different cable then

amalyos

posted on 25/9/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I ran mine through the lower bolt hole for the cylinder, and shortend the pivot point on the clutch pedal.
I know this reduces the travel (and feel), but It drives ok, although I have stalled it quite a few times, but I'm getting better

Steve.

chockymonster

posted on 25/9/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

MNR supplied so it should work!

smart51

posted on 25/9/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mine goes through the "master cylinder" hole. The cable's rose joint bolts to the pedal really close to the pedal's pivot. This gives a long pedal (long for a BEC) which improves feel and reduces stalling.
G.Man

posted on 25/9/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
quote:

MNR supplied so it should work!

Its the stock cable, same as mine...

I guess the clutch pedal relocation may be the problem...

chockymonster

posted on 25/9/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully this will explain things a bit better!

The new pedal box doesn't use the top mount for the clutch pedal. It's mounted on the same pivot bar as the brake pedal. with the pivot being much lower if I came through the master cylinder hole the cable would be bent at a nasty angle to get to the pivot on the clutch pedal.

G.Man

posted on 25/9/06 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I understood you perfectly, was why i posted it may be a sympton of the new clutch pedal position..

The end of the clutch cable outer is now about an inch closer the pedal you see...

marc n

posted on 26/9/06 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
hopefully you should recieve the adapter boss today that brings the cable further out of the bulkhead towards the engine

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
chockymonster

posted on 26/9/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
hopefully you should recieve the adapter boss today that brings the cable further out of the bulkhead towards the engine

I'll let you know when my postman bothers to deliver it. Thanks again Marc.

G.Man

posted on 26/9/06 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Easy fix would be to drill the inner side of the tube so that the nut and end of the cable is inside the tube...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.